• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

FS - 1982 Greco Super Real

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmatzen

Reaction score
Here is my 1982 Greco Super Real. Pinpointing the exact model has been difficult. I am not a Greco expert so I can only go on what I have been told by others more in the know. Feel free to chime in if you have information and knowledge which can be helpful. It appears to be a transition guitar as Greco progressed to the Mint Collection. Some of the features are as follows: It has a 3 piece maple top and 2 piece mahogany back. This one has a long neck tenon. No FEB. Nitro finish. The bridge has brass saddles. The fret board has a very" Brazilian look" to it although it probably is not.

Although it does show a bit of its 29 year it is not beat to hell and in very good condition for a guitar of this age. It has been played, like the good ones that get used. The frets show some minor wear on 1 through 5 , G & B but no refret needed. The back shows a lot of rash but nothing through the finish. Some small chips on the edges which were touched up in some point in its life but it adds to the character. Tere was a build up done on the nut, D string slot before I got it, and the selector switch has been replaced. Both original pickup rings have a single crack in them.

The guitar plays great, stays in tune, and has an exceptional tone to it. The neck pickup has no markings but it sounds woody; smooth and articulate - it is a really good sounding pup. The MMK45 in the bridge has some punch and growl to it. It allows you to get real dirty if you want but cleans up very nicely. You can tell this is a good one- it shows it's been played. It's not beat to hell but does show a bit of its 29 years. The guitar is not as red in person as it is in the pictures - the red has more brown tones to it. Those that know these old Greco's know the build quality they possess. Get some "old wood" for a real nice price. $1000. You pay shipping/Pay Pal. Hardshell case included.
IMG_9902.jpg

IMG_9871.jpg

IMG_9899.jpg

IMG_9845.jpg

Going by the catalog, with a 3-pc top and no fret binding it should be a EG59-45. Personally, I am a sucker for 1982 Grecos - great year with great materials. The Super Real on the headstock is a plus.
I have an EG59-50 that has fret binding and a similar fretboard to yours. It is a very nice light/dark grain.

jacco said:
Harold, would a late 1982 EG59-50 still have feb?

According to the 1982 MC catalog, "50" level and up have FEB so I would say yes. If you have a 2-pc top with no FEB, that would be an exception I believe.

jacco said:
Interesting. Does the 1983 and up EG59-50 still have feb?

My 83 EG59-50 has fret edge binding (2 piece top, urethane finish, screamin 82), I have seen 83 EG59-70 with no FEB. I t;hink feb is normally found on the EG58-120, not sure if EG59-100 has it.

tmatzen, your guitar looks like a EG59-45 (3 piece top, urethane, no edge binding), you sure about the nitro finish?

Yes, that's why I asked; the models later than 1983 I know with FEB are the EG59-120s and up.

villager said:
82 was a wierd year for greco's..

That's what I have found out so far. I am going by what the seller told me (who is considered knowledgeable and reputable AFAIK). It looks like nitro to me but again I am not an expert. If its not it is a very thin coat of whatever they used for finish in 1982.
Here is a shot of the neck tenon:
IMG_9841.jpg

Back