Mystery Stone Logo Fernandes?.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevie777

Reaction score
Hi, I'm having trouble finding out much about this guitar I just bought. I've had a lot of guesses thrown my way and some may be correct. Like Kawai build but i'm not sure if Kawai were still producing them in 1980.

All i know is the date stamp on the neck shows 23rd Jan 1980. Looks like an Ash body. FST 60-80 of that year.

Nice looking Fernandes whatever it is.

If anyone can shed some light on what I have i would be most appreciative.

Thanks.
Stevie.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-17 220622.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-17 220622.png
    350.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-09-18 154527.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-18 154527.png
    532.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-09-18 000220.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-18 000220.png
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-09-17 235841.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-17 235841.png
    750.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-09-17 220956.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-17 220956.png
    792.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-09-17 220921 - Copy.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-17 220921 - Copy.png
    676.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-09-17 220900 - Copy.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-17 220900 - Copy.png
    717.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-09-17 220836.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-17 220836.png
    674.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-09-17 220820.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-17 220820.png
    761.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-09-17 220800.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-17 220800.png
    614.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-09-17 220737 - Copy.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-17 220737 - Copy.png
    686.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-09-17 220713 - Copy.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-17 220713 - Copy.png
    572.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-09-17 220647.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-17 220647.png
    742.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-09-17 220511 - Copy.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-17 220511 - Copy.png
    878.3 KB · Views: 0
Nice guitar. And I am not a Fernandes expert, but what I notice is that I don't see indications that it was made by Tokai. No counterbore for the holes in the neck pocket, that odd hole, the neck stamp is not Tokai, etc.

That logo I believe was used in 1980/81 roughly?

Have you figured out the model?

I'll post some catalog shots.

Last edited:
1981 catalog

FST-90T ¥90,000
This is the highest quality of the FST series, capable of producing everything from the mellow sound characteristic of old guitars to the powerful heavy sound. The secret to that sound is the newly developed double-wiring pickup.Sounds can be switched with a single operation of the volume knob PullSW, and the humbucking sound from the front and center pickups can also be created with the touch of a tone control PullSW. A wide range of sound variations will captivate players. Of course, all parts are of the highest quality. The result is a professional-oriented guitar that has been praised as surpassing that of Fender.

Pickup L-5002TX3
Control volume (SW) x 1. Tone (with SW) x 1 5 position lever SW x 1
Body alder or Sen veneer
Neck: Maple dress, maple rose fingerboard, detachable 4-point stop, dot position mark
Peg: Kluson type gold color YS (U finish)

cat_1981fernandes_jp_004.jpg
FST-65T ¥65,000
SHAPE GOOD FUNCTION. As the name suggests, the Maple dress / U-shape neck has a shape that eliminates all waste. The movements of the fingers are extremely smooth from low to high positions. Also, sharp trebly sound and deep high power sound. The double-wired pickup, which handles these two conflicting sounds with a single pickup, is the guitar's most powerful fan cushion. Instant sound switching using the PULL switch is sure to limitlessly expand your expressive power.

Pickup: L-5002TX3
Controls: Volume (with SW) x 1, Tone x 2, 5 position lever SW x 1
Body: Sen veneer
Neck: Maple dress, maple rose fingerboard, detachable 4-point stop, dot position mark
Peg: Kluson type nickel
Color: BYS.YS. CH. BL.N (¥70,000)

■Control section
A Pull/Push SW is mounted for the volume, allowing you to instantly switch to hot, high-power sound just by pulling the knob. Don't miss the 5 point lever switch with perfect halftone

■Pickup
The L-5002T pickup enables everything from Takagi's excellent sharp sound to a deep sustain sound. This is a double-wiring pickup that has dual features among single pickups. It is set to a sharp 8200 turns and a hot high power 12,700 turns.

■Black Spring
The key to arming is a smooth and consistent restoring force. I think everyone knows that the key to this resilience is the coil spring mounted partially inside the body. Fernandes has developed a black spring with strong resilience and mounted it on the FST-65T.

cat_1981fernandes_jp_005.jpg

FST-80 ¥80.00
That old guitar sound has been revived in modern times. The more you play it, the more it will fit in your hand. Stable grip This V-shaped neck. A perfect match between the Kluson pegs, which are exactly the same as the '54 model specifications, and the powerful tremolo that responds dynamically. An outstanding combination of a light alder body and neck that fits perfectly to the body. Newly developed L-5001 pickup that reliably reproduces the old sound. Furthermore, the FST-80 has the expressive power to handle a wide range of sounds. Even if you're not an old fan, if you're a musician, this is a guitar that will appeal to you.

Pickup: L-5001 VINTAGE ×3
Control: volume x 1, tone x 2, 5 position lever SWX1
Body: Alder veneer
Neck: Maple dress, maple rose fingerboard detachable 4-point stopper dot position mark
Peg: USA Kluson Deluxe
Color: OS (U finish)

Pickup
It has a waist characteristic of an old model. The L-5001 pintage pickup was developed to perfectly reproduce the dead, deep tonal nuances. Everything from the shape of the alnico ball piece to the wire characteristics and number of turns in the wiring has been completely reproduced. The sound was determined through repeated hearing tests by professional musicians and Fernandez staff

■Body
The lightweight alder wood, bold pack, and top cut provide an excellent fit. It has a lightweight and well-balanced body that only old models have.

■Peg
The pegs mounted on the 1954 old are USA Kluson Deluxe. The Crewson Deluxe is mounted directly on this FST-80. "Only the real thing is a feeling.

NECK
V-shaped neck with the same old feel. The well-seasoned neck material is completely handmade, carved by skilled craftsmen while maintaining balance, and then bulleted

FST-60 ¥60,000
FST-60 has a slim maple dress with a U-shape neck.This is the perfect guitar for middle-class guitarists. It has the atmosphere of an old guitar, such as the Kluson type pegs with an authentic closhon head, and the pickup mounted on the single ply pickguard produces the chewy, attacking sound typical of a single coil. Arming that responds accurately, a bridge that transmits sound straight, and a 5-position switch that ensures halftones are sure to further enrich your sound variations.

Pickup: L-5001 VINTAGE X3
Control: volume x 1, tone x 2.5 position lever SWX1
Body: Alder or Sen veneer
NECK: Maple one-piece neck, maple rose fingerboard Detachable 4-point stop, dot position mark
Peg: Kluson type nickel
Color: BYS, YS, CH, BL, N (¥65,000)

■5-point lever switch A 5-point switch that allows you to easily create halftones. The tension in the half position is softer to differentiate it from the normal 3 points.

■4-point stop 4-point fastening that firmly joins the neck and body!

■Peg The best matching hook for the old closhon head. Kluson type peg. FST-60YS

cat_1981fernandes_jp_006.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, I believe it could be a fst 60-80. The specs for both are identical. I understand about the Tokai countersunk holes so we can eliminate that. It's a strange one.
The fst 80 looks like a good match as it also has the staggared pole pieces and it appears to have the more pronounce grain pattern, same colour and blank neck plate. trouble. Who made it. Matsumoku?

Last edited:
Not a Fernandes expert either but... 5-digit neck stamp format and neck pocket holes do not look like Tokai or Fujigen. Somebody claimed on the internet that the center hole in the neck pocket indicates Matsumoku*.

FST-65 from the same manufacturer:
https://tenokuni.com/products/fernandes-fst-65t-81-stratocaster-type
*Now here's the rub (maybe not, maybe both did a hole there, also the hole is not at the same position): Common folklore has it that Kawai ceased to make Fernandes beginning with the "stone logo" period 1978. But check out this - allegedly - (and I tend to believe this) 1976 (?) elongated neck plate Kawai-made FST-60:

https://reverb.com/item/31288151-1976-fernandes-fst60-stratocaster-black-traditional-logo
Screenshot 2023-09-19 at 14.15.56.jpg

So it could be an FST-60 and we know for sure that it was not made by Tokai, the rest is your very own fun mystery to solve. :)

Last edited:
FST60 BYS ?

I posted that while you were posting Homer J.

I agree, FTS60 BYS.

Hi, I believe it could be a fst 60-80. The specs for both are identical. I understand about the Tokai countersunk holes so we can eliminate that. It's a strange one.
Look at the translation.

Among other things:

the FST60 has "Kluson type" pegs, U neck

the FST80 has USA made pegs, V neck

Not a Fernandes expert either but... 5-digit neck stamp format and neck pocket holes do not look like Tokai or Fujigen. Somebody claimed on the internet that the center hole in the neck pocket indicates Matsumoku*.

FST-65 from the same manufacturer:
https://tenokuni.com/products/fernandes-fst-65t-81-stratocaster-type
*Now here's the rub (maybe not, maybe both did a hole there, also the hole is not at the same position): Common folklore has it that Kawai ceased to make Fernandes beginning with the "stone logo" period 1978. But check out this - allegedly - (and I tend to believe this) 1976 (?) elongated neck plate FST-60:

https://reverb.com/item/31288151-1976-fernandes-fst60-stratocaster-black-traditional-logo
View attachment 27067

So it could be an FST-60 and we know for sure that it was not made by Tokai, the rest is your very own fun mystery to solve. :)
yeah, On the 65t other than the wiring which I believe has been done later, I would say it's definitely from the same factory. You can see the exact same four depressions surrounding the hole in the neck pocket of the 65t that shows up on mine also.

Also, the original shielding is the same. Just the neck plate, pickguard, and pup color are different. They are a year or two apart mind you.

Something else i just noticed on that 65t. The pole pieces on that one are staggard on the underside. I wonder if they can be set to flat or staggard just by pushing them up or down to suit your preference?. Or are most single coils of this nature like that? I've never seen this on any other strat-type single coils. hmmm?

we'll go with Matsumoku build if the add is correct.

Here is a thread I put together a while back because I was equally frustrated and trying to sort out the Tokai side of Fernandes guitars. Not sure how far along I got in untangling stuff.

Fernandes Strats

Look at the translation.

Among other things:

the FST60 has "Kluson type" pegs, U neck

the FST80 has USA made pegs, V neck
I cant read Japanese. I missed out on the bit about the pegs.

So the consensus is it's a Matsumoku-made 1980 fst60 bys

What does BYS stand for... Brown/black Yellow Sunburst?

Here is a thread I put together a while back because I was equally frustrated and trying to sort out the Tokai side of Fernandes guitars. Not sure how far along I got in untangling stuff.

Fernandes Strats
I spent around an hour reading that last night. Thanks. Interesting read.

This is not my first Fernandes. I've had a few Tokai Revival Basses in the past. This one just had me stumped.

I can't read it either. I had to use Google to translate, but it takes a while to post it and it can be a bit rough.

Screen Shot 2023-09-19 at 9.02.41 AM.png

BYS seems to be some sort of brown sunburst. No idea what the Y stands for.

YS seems to be the 3 tone 60s style sunburst.

OS seems to be 2 tone 50s style. Black to gold color.

Looks like the FST65 has different pickups than the FST60 and has a push/pull switch.

Looks like the FST65 has different pickups than the FST60 and has a push/pull switch.
I'm sure I read somewhere that the one with the 3 wires and push-pull switches was for an extra wind that would brighten or boost the pickup. I watched a video of someone using the push-pull with the extra winds. Sounded terrible to these old ears.

This one.

And just translated this for the FST65:

■Control section
A Pull/Push SW is mounted for the volume, allowing you to instantly switch to hot, high-power sound just by pulling the knob. Don't miss the 5 point lever switch with perfect halftone

Screen Shot 2023-09-19 at 9.13.36 AM.png

■Pickup
The L-5002T pickup enables everything from Takagi's excellent sharp sound to a deep sustain sound. This is a double-wiring pickup that has dual features among single pickups. It is set to a sharp 8200 turns and a hot high power 12,700 turns.

Screen Shot 2023-09-19 at 9.13.48 AM.png

■Black Spring
The key to arming is a smooth and consistent restoring force. I think everyone knows that the key to this resilience is the coil spring mounted partially inside the body. Fernandes has developed a black spring with strong resilience and mounted it on the FST-65T.

Screen Shot 2023-09-19 at 9.13.58 AM.png

Looks like that pickup on the FST65 may be an early form of noisless/humbucking technology for a single coil?

Just listened to it again. Doesn't sound too bad the second time around. 😀 I think they were aiming for a Humbucker-type boost in a single coil. Best of both worlds for those who like Humbuckers i suppose.

Looks like that pickup on the FST65 may be an early form of noisless/humbucking technology for a single coil?
Yeah, That's what they were aiming for. I'm kind of a purist when it comes to strat sounds. I Love SRV. If I want humbuckers I'll grab my Greco LP for that. Nice tool to have in the armory though when you don't want to be dragging too many expensive guitars around.

Now i want one. 😂

Back