My Tokai has landed (pics) LS80Q?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edd

Reaction score
Hello to all, 2nd post, in my 1st post I asked for pics on an LS80Q 2004, as i wanted to see one in the flesh, the pics I had from Ebay were not that good. Any way she has landed this week and what a beauty she is. I have (I hope) attached some pics.
I am not sure if it is just me, or if fellow forum readers feel the same. when she landed it was spot on, a bit of adjustment here and there but nothing bad. I feel that 'is she what she is supposed to be? did a get a good deal? can I find out more on this model to reassure myself?
after reading through many of the forum pages (back to middle of 05) I have a fair idea of the guitar i now have. But,,,,,,,, with it being the tras'blue finish, I thought it had a solid back. It is hard to see in the pic' the full on pic' but if you take a look at the photo from the back towards the rear strap button, you can make out the 45% grain coming down and to the centre. that is the only point on the guitar that you can actually tell it is a two piece back.

L1000110.jpg
[/img]

L1000114.jpg
[/img]
L1000113.jpg

I have not shown the pickup cavities as there is no useful information in there, no model number that I can read. But it is as with so many I have seen here well cut and the neck tenon flush to the cavity.
[/img]
L1000104.jpg

L1000105.jpg

[/img]
L1000106.jpg

The pickups do not have any mark or numbers on them but I have noticed that the wires are metal braided.
L1000107.jpg
[/img]

L1000109.jpg

A pic' of the cap under the binding. That is a nice piece of wood, great to see it when the pups or out.

[/img]
L1000111.jpg

As can be seen 2004 model. And a nice shot of the head stock shape UK/Japan type no Nipple in the centre.

L1000112.jpg

Real difficult to photograph to show her off to her best.

[/img]
L1000116.jpg

Read of a problem with the finish at the neck/fretboard join to body, looks like I escaped that one. :wink:

L1000118.jpg

I have the pointers on the control knobs so I know she is what she is supposed to be.

[/img]
L1000119.jpg

I think that about covers it. I any one would like to make a comment, then feel free. I look forward to finding out what you all think. Personally I think for the price I paid her in the UK that I did OK :D

I admit I'm not fond of quilted tops, nor am I fond of blue transparent finishes... however, your guitar is a beauty, congrats, and wishes of many hours of music :wink:

**** sweet. Could you get the weight of the guitar for me, what ever the shipping label says is fine.

Ned.
The weight of the LS80Q is about 9lbs thast a close as I can get with it in my hand on the digi' bathroom scales. I did not have a sales ticket as it was bought from Ebay, the seller said it was bought on the 24/12/2005 he gave me the model number as 'LS80Q' but with no markings to that effect I an not sure and with all the model numbers changing all the time, it's a little confusing. I can't seem to find a 2004 cat' with the LS80Q listed to comfirm. Help in this matter would be great.
EDD.

I'd get a chrome/mirror toggle switch/ring, pickguard, pickup rings and volume/tone knobs. That would look sharp!

L1000119.jpg

I usually don't like quilt tops, but you got a very nice one there! Congrats!

Congratulations !! She's so wonderful !! :eek:

I like the figuered tops, and the trans-blue color is outstanding ! :lol:

Roger

Thnx for all the positive replies, it is good to know that I am not the only one to find her attractive :p
Still no answers to what she is, ie: is she a LS80Q?

EDD.

Beautiful guitar! :D

I have a quilt top Edwards Limited Edition in Aquablue, which is more of a light blue. I think I like the color of yours better. I'm a sucker for dark blue guitars that show some wood grain.

Since you asked for comments, I'd suggest changing the chrome hardware out for nickel -- I think the chrome is a little too shiny. And maybe you want to remove the pickguard so that the rest of the quilt can be seen.

Congrat!

Thnx for that 'detroitace' I did give it some thought as to keep her original or not. Unfortunately the pick guard was on when I got her and yes IMHO I think the full quilt would look better, so I may pull it of and fill the holes, then will post a fresh pic'.
I have already changed the TRC (see my other post 'DIY TRC') changing the hardware to nickle would be an expense that at the moment I could not justify, as it would mean replacing the pups as well. But are right, looking at her now I can see the duller hardware looking very kuooll!!

EDD.

Her she is in all her naked glory, I must admit, the quilt now looks far better than I first thought it would :lol:

L1000124.jpg

[/img]
L1000122.jpg

EDD.

great looking axe
my 2004 quilt top in dak heritage cherry is ls75,
IMG_0048.jpg
yours is probably the same as i think that the ls 80 price was upped in 2005
it is still the same guitar ls80, ls75 only diff is the price change in japan 75000 yen, upped to 80,000 yen. my 75 number is in the bridge cavity on the sideof the cavity,written in pencil under the laquer, try there for confirmation
mike

I have taken some pic's of the bridge pickup cavity, I can't make any sense of the markings, I can read the top set 5-34 but the SDB stumped.
Can anyone shed any light on this?

L1000131.jpg

[/img]
L1000129.jpg

EDD.

Latest posts

Back