My Tokai Dilemma.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenmac

Reaction score
Well maybe "Dilemma" is a bit strong but I need some advice. I already posted about the fact that Steves music store in downtown Toronto has 2 left handed Tokai Love Rock guitars over in the "Sightings" section of the group but on that same day (Saturday) I also headed over to Song Bird Music and saw a Love Rock guitar which I tried out. I sent an e-mail to one of the guitar guys at the store and this is what I said;

"Hello, I was in the store Saturday trying out a Tokai Love Rock guitar which I was told is on consignment. I realize the person selling this guitar wants to make his share of cash on it but what I'd ideally like to do is some kind of a trade. I have a Tokai Goldstar sound Strat I bought secondhand a few years ago and the person that sold it to me had the pickups replaced with Fender Texas Special pickups. I'm not using this guitar often at all and it's an early 80's model which I understand is quite desirable for Tokai collectors. Even though the Love Rock model I was trying out isn't in great shape cosmetically it definitely has that genuine Les Paul sound and it plays well. Would some kind of a trade be possible either between the seller and myself or the store? As I said, I know he'd probably prefer the cash but the Strat is a good playing and good sounding instrument. I just don't use it often. Please contact me at (e-mail address deleted) and let me know what kind of a deal can be worked out. Thanks."

Now I don't know if this guy selling the guitar would want to do a direct trade or not but the guitar is a little on the worn out looking side and is missing the truss rod cover but it sure sounds good. If I do get this guitar I'm planning to get it re-finished as the guy at the counter told me the owner had a new finish applied to it. Parts of the finish have either been worn off or flaked off and from a cosmetic point of view it bothers me a little. (Yeah, I know. :roll: ) I've also found the neck pickup has a slight hum to it. Anyway, I haven't heard back from Song Bird yet and if I sell the Gold Star for cash I'll have to wait and I might miss out on the Love Rock. I was hoping they'd tell me if he wants to do a trade or not plus I'm sure they'll want to get their share of the consignment fee. What's your advice? Thanks.

UPDATE: I just got off the phone with one of the guitar reps from Song Bird music and the Love Rock is still in the store. I asked him about a trade (which initially I didn't really want to do as the guitar *is* on consignment and I don't want to rip off the owner from his consignment fee) and I told them about the Goldstar sound model I have. He told me to bring it in and they'd see what kind of a deal they could make.

I also mentioned the fact that I sent them 2 e-mails but the guy said he wasn't in charge of answering the e-mails so he couldn't help me with that and he sounded very sincere about it. They really are a good music store to deal with. I've bought things from them in the past and there's a "no pressure" feeling there. You can pick up any guitar you see there, plug it in and try it out, except for the ones behind the counter of course. :) Needless to say, the Love Rock was behind the counter. Funnily enough though the Tokai Goldstar models aren't behind the counter.

So I guess I'll head down there this weekend (working during the week and no time) and hopefully the guitar will still be there. BTW I forgot to mention in my original post this Love Rock has the Gibson style headstock. No dimples! :wink: When (hopefully) I do get the guitar i'll post some photos of it so you can see the finish. I'm seriously considering getting it refinished. I know there are a lot of people out there who like the "aged" or "relic" style finish but I'm not one of them. Wish me luck! :D

Latest posts

Back