My New Springy

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Helge, i don't think it has been replaced,there's no need too everything else is mint. I see the gap you refer too so i went and did a search and looked at a heap more and there's a few with slightly ill fitting pick guards, not necessarily in the same spot. :)

Mick

Hmmm, how many of those were maple board with an 11 hole, 3 ply scratchplate though?

leadguitar_323 said:
And how many st-70's have you seen... :p

Mick

True, but I do have a 60 and an 80! And it would be very strange if the "rules" that apply to them don't apply to the ones "in the middle", so to speak.

8)

Rules.???What rules... :p We are talking Japanese here.... I will find out for sure soon but i have to say i have a one off Ls gold top {all honduras mahogany} so as far as i'm concerned ....anything is possible..

Mick

I'll have it in 3 or 4 days......can't wait

Helge, i found another one and it has the same gap in the scratch plate......looks original to me... :wink:
http://www.bpjensen.com/bpjensen/Gitarer/TokaiST70.htm

Mick

It's a strange one alright! I've never seen a capped maple neck on a Tokai before, or a 3-ply plate on a maple necked Strat but it's certainly a genuine Tokai body, and I have no reason to believe the neck isn't genuine too. Looks like quite a rare guitar you've got there Mick, looking forward to seeing some more pics when she arrives!!

Hi Mick,

Tokai did make a ST-70 model - 1960 slab rosewood replica or a 1967 maple (with small headstock???) psuedo-replica.
They were essentially a poly ST-80 with custom neck. The maple neck did have a laminated fingerboard as opposed to the 54 and 57 replicas whick were 1 piece

Tokai Australia had stocks of TST-70 FO Goldstar. I don't recall any rosewood neck models and I'm pretty sure they were offered in FO or YSO only. I will have to check my stock-take records.

more details later

regards
Peter Mac

Peter Mac said:
Tokai did make a ST-70 model - 1960 slab rosewood replica or a 1967 maple (with small headstock???) psuedo-replica.
They were essentially a poly ST-80 with custom neck.

I don't want to be picky, but in what way is it a 67 replica if it has the pre-66 small headstock? :eek:

Well the springy arrived today and WOW this thing looks like it was made yesterday.... :eek: And i'll bet my balls its nitro as well {i'll test it soon} the finish is extremely thin and it has sunken into the grain, very nice. It will take a while to get used to, i'm a LP man but it does a great impression of the solo from "wish you were here" on the front pickup.....sounds great.... :D

Mick

leadguitar_323 said:
Well the springy arrived today and WOW this thing looks like it was made yesterday.... :eek: And i'll bet my balls its nitro as well {i'll test it soon} the finish is extremely thin and it has sunken into the grain, very nice. It will take a while to get used to, i'm a LP man but it does a great impression of the solo from "wish you were here" on the front pickup.....sounds great.... :D

Mick

Has the body been refinished at some point maybe? I have stripped a few tokais and you dont normally see that much paint in the neck pocket. Very nice guitar, hope my lpb goldy looks as good. R.

Hi rayme, definitly no refinish, this thing is absolutely mint, not even a spec of tarnishing on the chrome, and through my fender amp it sounds fantastic.. :wink:
Plus all the markings are correct, the "FO" in the cavity is for "flamingo Orange" {fiesta red} so its all original. Good luck with the goldy :D

Mick

leadguitar_323 said:
Helge, i found another one and it has the same gap in the scratch plate......looks original to me... :wink:
http://www.bpjensen.com/bpjensen/Gitarer/TokaiST70.htm

Mick
This is my guitar :D It's an ST70 and it has 100% nitro finish.

Beppe

beppe1266 said:
[This is my guitar :D It's an ST70 and it has 100% nitro finish.

Beppe

Really? I always understood that nitro was only used on 80s and above?

The ST-70 seems to be a rare model, so i suppose anything is possible. I haven't taken mine apart yet but if it is poly it is the thinnest poly finish i have ever seen..

Mick

leadguitar_323 said:
Thanks Beppe, where did you get yours.?? And what year is it.?

Mick
Mine is from 1981. I bought it localy here in Norway.
I also have a ST60 from 1981. I'm quite sure that one also has nitro.

Back