My new Edwards Jimmy Page Relic w picture

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Ashley

Reaction score
Got a new Edwards Page relic today. This model has the super switching circuit. The previous owner had a luthier do a headstock conversion to read Gibson. I have a bunch of Gibson historic parts here that I usually upgrade my MIJs with and was wondering if anybody else has had much luck doing upgrades on an Edwards. A few things I've noticed:

The truss rod routing hole runs all the way to the nut, so a Gibson cover doesn't fit right. I've got a workaround for that.

While the guitar is somewhat relic'd, most of the metal hardware isn't. I already have a nice aged aluminum tailpiece. Has anyone replaced a bridge on an Edwards Les Paul? Does it need to be metric?

I'd like to replace the knobs with proper gold instead of amber, but the pot shafts are super skinny and the knobs aren't coming off. I don't want to rip the shaft out of the pots. Has anyone had any luck getting the knobs off the pots in these super circuit models?

The tuners are brand new shiny Gotohs. Want to put on some distressed Grovers - will they retrofit or will I need to ream the peghead?

I've got some nice aged pickup rings from RS Guitarworks. They worked great on another Greco I have. Hopefully they'll match up to the hole pattern in the Edwards.

I've got a couple other pictures over in the Greco area but wanted to directly address these issues here as this is the proper forum for it. If anyone has any success stories or tips on upgrades for their Edwards/Page guitars, please chime in!

IMG_0307.jpg

Hi Kyle!

Kyle Ashley said:
The truss rod routing hole runs all the way to the nut, so a Gibson cover doesn't fit right. I've got a workaround for that.

I also had this problem with my Edwards, so I sold her :D Just kidding, I left the original TRC on, because a DMC TRC looked bad on it, you could look into the Trussrod routing, because the Edwards TRC's are wider at the bottom and are only held by one screw :cry:

Kyle Ashley said:
While the guitar is somewhat relic'd, most of the metal hardware isn't. I already have a nice aged aluminum tailpiece. Has anyone replaced a bridge on an Edwards Les Paul? Does it need to be metric?

I replaced the bridge with a Faber bridge from Gottfried and hadn't any problem. Same for the STP, Faber fitted perfectly, but I used the original Edwards studs.

Kyle Ashley said:
I'd like to replace the knobs with proper gold instead of amber, but the pot shafts are super skinny and the knobs aren't coming off. I don't want to rip the shaft out of the pots. Has anyone had any luck getting the knobs off the pots in these super circuit models?

On my Edwards there were ugly witch hat knobs mounted, and I replaced them with bonnet knobs of asian manufacture, and they fitted perfectly. Maybe there will be some trouble by using Gibson knobs.

Kyle Ashley said:
The tuners are brand new shiny Gotohs. Want to put on some distressed Grovers - will they retrofit or will I need to ream the peghead?

No you don't have to. The Gotohs and the Grovers have the same diameter. I replced the Gotoh Tuners with Schaller ST6KG, and there were no problems. You may have to check how the screw placement is. On some Gotohs it's 45 degree and Grovers have afair 90degree screw placement.

Kyle Ashley said:
I've got some nice aged pickup rings from RS Guitarworks. They worked great on another Greco I have. Hopefully they'll match up to the hole pattern in the Edwards.

Well, you could simply measure before installing them. I never had any problems with Tokai and Gibson pickup rings, they fitted as well on Tokai and Gibson, as on Edwards. The only rings I had, that didn't fir on either of my guitars were Epiphone MIK rings, they are somewhat wider.

Happy Pimping,-))))

Hi Jonas,

Thanks for the excellent response! I'll look into the Faber bridge right away. Regarding the knobs, did your guitar have the super circuit? If so, just wondering how you pulled the old ones off? The pot shafts seem too fragile to take much tugging and pulling.

Kyle Ashley said:
Hi Jonas,

Thanks for the excellent response! I'll look into the Faber bridge right away. Regarding the knobs, did your guitar have the super circuit? If so, just wondering how you pulled the old ones off? The pot shafts seem too fragile to take much tugging and pulling.

Go with the Faber bridge with brass saddles. Really makes a difference.

Like you said, you don't want to be doing alot of yanking and tugging on push/pull pots. With the knob in the down (push) position, can you gently rock the knob from side to side to loosen it?

Hi Marcus - I know you are quite familiar with these guitars. Thanks I'll gently work with them a bit a see what happens.

UPDATE: That worked..they are tight but using a fork to pry while rocking back and forth eased them right off.

Kyle Ashley said:
Hi Marcus - I know you are quite familiar with these guitars. Thanks I'll gently work with them a bit a see what happens.

UPDATE: That worked..they are tight but using a fork to pry while rocking back and forth eased them right off.

Atta boy!

Remember to use metric knobs on it - the US versions won't fit (too small)

Back