My first Tokai!!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lefty9

Reaction score
...has yet to arrive, but I'm a week away from ordering. I've narrowed my choices down to two models and my selection will be ordered half way around the world, so I could use some guidance. Being left handed, I rarely get to try my guitars first anyway, but in this case there's not even a right handed model for me to see. There is practically no descriptions on the sight and it's hard to get detailed communication because the retailer is purchasing it from a friendly competitor and there's some language barriers. I have searched this site, but I can't locate details on these specific models.

I'm looking at the LC-90S-L and it's certainly a beatiful black lefty Custom. It would me MIJ, yes? Since it's a black beauty, would it be a solid mahogany body or would it have a maple cap? What are Tokai LP neck profiles like? Fat? I realize this isn't the high-end model, so what are the odds that I would find the pickups acceptable? I can get this guitar for 67,500 yen.

The second choice is the ES-110. Yes, a different beast altogether, but it is gorgeous and I've never seen a lefty Red 335 copy. Since the ES-120 and ES-100 are both MIJ, I'm assuming this is Japanese too. Would this be a lacquer finish like the 120 or a poly finish like the 100? Same question on the neck and pickups. I can get this one with case for 82,000 yen.

Lots of questions, but I'm flying blind here and could use your experience!
Thanks,
Brendan

Acording to guitar shop Universe (http://www.cyborg.ne.jp/~universe/unihome.html) the ES-100 has a poly finish and the ES-120 laquer finish.

Micke

Lefty 9
LC-90S-L - is a very good choise. Of course it MIJ. And it have a maple top (whole mahogany - without "S" letter). The sound (I played at LC80S BB ) is a great. And frankly speaking I couldn't find the big difference in sound and quality between LS85Q, LC80S and LS120. Allthough LS 85 and 120 costs more.
So my congratulations if you'll get this gear.

P.S. and as you understand this guitar requires a good tube amp :)

Back