My # 1

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jacco said:
Yeah I know, it's very time consuming. Fun and worth it though.
Tip of the day: 70s Matsushita EL34s, best of both worlds; both the creamy mids of the the Mullard and the woodiness of the Philips.

Didn't Mullard set up Matsushita's tube production in the late 60's / early 70's ? Their 12AX7's are very much in demand.

No, sublte difference: Mullard was acquired by Philips in 1928. Philips & Matsushita started working together around 1953, in 1955 Philips equipment was bought and used (the same year Philips bought Amperex). The Matsushita (long plate) 12AX7 & EL84 tubes up to 1959 are carbon copies of Philips 12AX7s & EL84s for instance (the ones starting with N as factory designation). In the (possibly mid) 60s it is said Mullard knowledge/equipment was used by Matsushita.

This board is full of historians, I love it.
would have listened more in school if it was about this ;)

Phantom

1984 Greco EG60-180 (EGF-1800 equivalent, solid top)

5243145379_0328fd6b48_b.jpg

5348298920_6b306d54b8_b.jpg

Hot **** there is some freakishly nice gits in here everyone, love the flame and the birdseyes in your '84 there Mono.

Here is mine, i actually think i'm playing better because of the quality of this instrument, that or maybe i'm just more inspired.

6e0uwz.jpg

Yeah it was kinda a process of elimination

Wulf had the 84 magazine and it kind of had to be an EG60-180 given the specs, finish and open zebra pickups (assuming they are stock!). Wish they hadnt had their stickers removed!

As much as I like the Gibson R8 I got, my Bacchus Classic is still the #1 for sustain, tone, and playability. I have some Seth Lovers in there now which I think I may prefer to the stock ones by just a little bit.

Back