"Modified" model number on Silver Star

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know very little about SSs - I've only ever seen one in real life, & that's the one I bought a couple of months ago!

At least the seller isn't claiming it to be an "86". I have dealt with kenji for a few years now and find him extremely good and honest to deal with. And i agree it looks like a modified "36"

Mick

as far as I know there is no SS 86. This guitar looks also like mine Silverstar (36), so I think it might be a SS36.

That's definitely a lower end model--flat pole pickups, 2-piece seam on headstock and low end tuners--SS-36 for sure! Maybe someone restamped it in 1986!?

The highest model Silver Stars I've seen or heard of are SS-80s (I now am the proud owner of 2!). Peter Mac is probably the best source of info on whether there is a higher model or not--he's writing a book on Tokais.

If you're in the market for a Silver Star, hold out for a better model. The pickups on SS-36/SS-40 models are so-so, and the tuners feel a bit cheap. The necks are made of 2 pieces of wood as well, and the bodies often are 3 pieces. The SS-48/SS-50s have much nicer (high ratio Schaller-style) tuners, good sounding staggered pole pickups and a one piece neck (2 piece body?). The necks on Silver Stars are 41mm at the nut--slimmer than Springys or Goldstars. Models 50 and below have C-profile necks that feel really good IMO. You can often find an SS-48 or 50 for the same price as an SS-36--people don't seem to recognize much difference between them, but I would say it's significant.

SS-80s have V-profile necks which with such a slim neck anyway take a bit of getting used to, or small hands. The necks are quite similar in feel to the neck on my Tokai ES-155. My SS-80s are both finished in nitrocellulose, and have really hot black-backed Dimarzio pickups. One is Sen (Japanese ash) sunburst the other I am almost certain is alder (Silver). They may possibly both have one-piece bodies, although one is painted so it's not possible to tell (no centre seam on the silver one though). They both have stock brass saddles and nut. They're both incredible guitars once you get used to the pickups (I usually keep my vol. at 6 on them!), and the slim neck.

I've never played an SS-60 but they exist--I think they may have a C-profile neck, brass saddles but plastic or bone nut, and less hot pickups. I really like the brass saddles on my SS-80s--I'm not so sure the brass nut is necessarily an improvement, although that's a matter of taste I guess--it does increase sustain.

Hope this helps!

:)
Chris
________
Maxxcab

my SS36 has one piece neck - I think we discussed here about that, some of SS36 has one and some has two piece neck.
about tuners: maybe they look cheap but guitar stays perfect in tune - and I'm a hard bender ;)
pickups are a little bit thin but on the other side they crunch fantastic. but of course you can change them anytime. my SS doesn't sound good on Mesa Boogie MArk III but on Marshall JMP superbass sounds great.
definitelly silverstars are good guitars in that price range, even the entry models.
I like brass nut too (and brass saddles), I have it on my Fibenare guitar and sounds fantastic

Hi Diodibuh,
I guess what I was trying to say is if you can find an SS-48 or 50 in equal condition for the same price (and they often are about the same price) as an SS-36 I think you're getting a slightly fancier guitar. There was a Y10,000-Y14,000 price difference between these models in the 1980s. This is not to say there is anything wrong with a lower model--they are good guitars too! Silver Stars are still often modestly priced, and underrated in my opinion.
________
Chrysler J Platform History

cheshirecatsmile said:
The pickups on SS-36/SS-40 models are so-so, and the tuners feel a bit cheap. The necks are made of 2 pieces of wood as well, and the bodies often are 3 pieces.

The body on my SS looks like it's four piece, so I guess it's safe to assume it's an SS36? The tuners do feel a bit cheap compared to my Goldstars.

I hadn't played it for a while, so I dug it out and did a bit of a set up on it yesterday. It's not bad actually! Definitely a different sound compared to a Goldstar.

133_3400c.jpg

134_3409.jpg

134_3406.jpg

Mike--
I think the exact model# (36, 38, 40) depends on the year/finish (there may have been a price change between years too), but I'd say that's a lower end model too. Another difference that I've noticed between these and SS-48-50 models is the brass ground plate inside. The lower models don't have them. I think I recently saw a model on ebay with a 45 sticker on it that had the brass ground plate and staggered pole pickups, but the lower-end tuners. It's interesting--I have a TST-40 Goldstar that has lower-end tuners than the Kluson-style ones the 50 and up model Goldstars and Springys have. The TST-40 tuners look a bit different than the Silver Star 36-40 ones, but feel really similar (and do actually stay in tune quite well).

This page from the final 1982 catalogue says there is an SS-85 model (natural finish):

vol627.jpg

The photo on the bottom right-hand corner also shows what the brass saddles look like. There is a photo beside that of what I am guessing is a Silver Star with a 4 screw neck plate--Peter Mac referred to SS-60s as having these in another recent post, although after that I think I saw a Silver Star on ebay with a 60 sticker and a 3 screw neck plate. Does anyone on here have an SS-60 they can tell us about?
________
COMPARISON OF TOYOTA HYBRIDS

Back