MIJ Love Rock

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I emailed Allan at Catswhiskers and he was very helpful with suggestions. I was going to put my 1970's Gibson T Top pickup in the bridge ( currently in an Ibanez I've got ) and get him to make me a neck pickup to match. He was only going to charge ?50! However just before I made a decision I saw a pair of his 58 pickups on Ebay and the price was just too good to be true. I got them for ?41 the pair ( after my ?10 Ebay reward voucher was taken off LOL ) so I can't wait to get them and stick them in. Just got to sell my Duncan Designed ones now.

Hi Jimmy ,
You cant go wrong with his pickups , Like I said the ones he made for me had a few extra turns on the bridge pup and it is guitar heaven

Hi John, I can't wait to stick them in to be honest. Might have a little impromptu gig coming up in a couple of weeks and it'd be nice to have them in for that. I'll have to give them a review on Harmony. Allan got a bit of stick on a guitar builders forum from another pickup maker saying they couldn't really be handwound at the price and they couldn't be any good blah blah but he went on there and made his case and made the other bloke look a complete txxt. Funny to read actually and nice to see the other forum members were backing him up.

Hi Jimmy,
Nice to hear about your gig let me know how it goes .
Can you give me the link for that guitar builders forum as I would love to see the reply.
cheers
johnny

Here you go John. You'll have to scroll through the thread to get his answer and his User name is Crumbhorn
http://music-electronics-forum.com/showthread.php?t=1703

Thanks for that ........... he stuck a pin in nicely .
Some of the pickups he sells on e-bay are when people order then dont follow up with the money . But if you ask for some to be made to your requirements then even at ?50 each for hand made is still good

John

I actually got the pair secondhand off an Ebayer who said he didn't them anymore for a project guitar. Nickel covered Alnico 5 58's which by the specs are a little hotter than PAF's. I thought for the price if they're not what I'm looking for I'll sell them on and then go with my original plan and order the neck pickup from Allan to go with my T Top. This way just means I get a matched pair and I don't have to rip the T Top out of my Ibanez. I'll let you know what they're like when they are in. The guitar is a stunner to play by the way but I may get some new pots as I like the tone and volume knobs to be a little more even over their range. Any suggestions?

JimmyR said:
I may get some new pots as I like the tone and volume knobs to be a little more even over their range. Any suggestions?

This might help:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9184&highlight=pots+caps

It certainly helped me. :p

Mike

Well, I got the new Catswhiskers pickups and I've posted a review on Harmony Central. I'm a very happy man! Exactly the sound I was looking for and as I bought them secondhand without hearing them it was a stroke of luck. They read 7.2k at the neck and 13.5k at the bridge and it's a great combination. They make my old Marshall Valvestate sound good!!
Cheers for the tip John.

http://s265.photobucket.com/albums/ii217/JimmyR_02/Tokai/?action=view&current=DSCF2711.jpg

Latest posts

Back