LS80S GT - normal or long shaft pots?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter S.

Reaction score
Hi,

which CTS pots fit in the current Tokai Love Rock LS80S GT - the long shaft or normal versions?

Best wishes
Peter

I just rewired my 03 LS80F completely with normal shaft CTS pots (audio taper). Those are the ones to get, though I should note that you can expect to do some slight work to get them in:
  • The holes in the top of the Tokai are too narrow to fit the CTS pots, so I used my Dremel to ream them out (no way around that, not even with long shaft pots). Worked very well: noone would be able to tell the holes weren't that way from the factory.
  • CTS pots have a small 'feet' on top of the pot, that the original Nobles don't have (see this picture). I had to saw those off with a small iron saw to make it fit the Tokai.
  • The routing in the cavity floor for one of the pots was too small for the CTS footprint. Again, I used a flat round Dremel tip to ever so slightly increase the routing on the cavity floor. Worked very well
So yes, they fit, but expect to do some modifications. All in all I have to say it was worth it though: I like both the feel and taper of the CTS better, and the guitar seems to sound a bit more open and 'solid'. It took a while, but I'm glad I did it.

By the way: if you're going to replace the pots, I would recommend switching to '50s wiring'. This helps to prevent tone loss when rolling back the volume. The difference is actually quite dramatic. I'd also toss out the Tokai factory ceramic capacitors and replace them with something like Orange Drop 715Ps (very good caps, not to be confused with the cheaper and not-so-hot Orange Drop 225Ps). Again, the difference was much more pronounced than I believed before trying it.

Back