LS150F or what?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Geo said:
I hate to say this, but 'that' would annoy me. :( I'm not usually a snob about guitars, but I'd want my Tokai to look like a Gibson as well as play and sound like one.

Thanks for the pics! Nice guitars there!

Precisely my point. And yes those are gorgeous goldies.

I own a 2008 LS-85F VF from Richtone and it came with no pimple, so IMO not all of them have it. It could be possible that, as exception, my guitar was not UK-destination, and it came directly from Japan's market. If you see the pics of Tokais in richtone's webpage some of them show that pimple and some not.

Paulred said:
I own a 2008 LS-85F VF from Richtone and it came with no pimple, so IMO not all of them have it. It could be possible that, as exception, my guitar was not UK-destination, and it came directly from Japan's market. If you see the pics of Tokais in richtone's webpage some of them show that pimple and some not.

That's why if it is an issue for some people, always ask to see a full front on pic of the headstock of the newer MIJ Love Rocks

From a practical point of view I'm happier that a Tokai can play and sound as good as a Gibson for a lot less cash and I'll overlook a miniscule pimple. If the price is right and a guitar plays easily and well and sounds good it's ticked all the boxes for me.

Not to mention being able to have the confidence that bought unseen the Tokai will be far more likely to be well made and set up.

If you play in public I can see that the audience expectation would be a factor though. Having said that I think I would rather people know I'm playing a Tokai than are misled into thinking it's a Gibson by its appearance.

I'm not sure we need be so taken up with how totally and exactly like Gibsons and Fenders these guitars look - they aren't made by Gibson and Fender, they're Tokais and **** good guitars in their own right.

Just my opinion. :)

vikingblues said:
From a practical point of view I'm happier that a Tokai can play and sound as good as a Gibson for a lot less cash and I'll overlook a miniscule pimple. If the price is right and a guitar plays easily and well and sounds good it's ticked all the boxes for me.

Not to mention being able to have the confidence that bought unseen the Tokai will be far more likely to be well made and set up.

If you play in public I can see that the audience expectation would be a factor though. Having said that I think I would rather people know I'm playing a Tokai than are misled into thinking it's a Gibson by its appearance.

I'm not sure we need be so taken up with how totally and exactly like Gibsons and Fenders these guitars look - they aren't made by Gibson and Fender, they're Tokais and **** good guitars in their own right.

Just my opinion. :)

I agree, and can't understand why Tokai have had to carry on cloning exactly when they can make great guitars of their own. No, wait, I do know why - guitarists are the most conservative buyers on the planet, and can't handle change! :lol:

Hi,

I just got a LS85F from richtone.
Even tho on the web site you can see a dimple the guitar i got has a open book head stock.

I dont care which one i got but if you do i would ask Richtone before you buy. Or ask before you rule out buying from them as you could get the guitar you would with a open book head stock

I cant beleive the quality of this guitar and the fact i didnt see let alone play it before i shelled out my cash its a sign of how good Tokai's Q&C is that people are happy to do it. I would never Buy a "real" Gibson Les Paul without playing it first.

Cheers

This is just my opinion but if I wanted an inch perfect replica of a Gibson I would buy a guitar with Gibson on the headstock. It makes no sense to me to be so anal about the smallest of shape differences when things like the headstock decal are completely different.

Consider other LP copies like Epiphones - the head stocks look fugly (in my opinion). At least the pimple is still fitting with the rest of the guitar and I quite like the fact even though it is a copy, the Tokai has it's own subtle things going on.

I'm not saying people who want the open book headstock are wrong, it's all personal preference.

Si Pie said:
This is just my opinion but if I wanted an inch perfect replica of a Gibson I would buy a guitar with Gibson on the headstock. It makes no sense to me to be so anal about the smallest of shape differences when things like the headstock decal are completely different.

Consider other LP copies like Epiphones - the head stocks look fugly (in my opinion). At least the pimple is still fitting with the rest of the guitar and I quite like the fact even though it is a copy, the Tokai has it's own subtle things going on.

I'm not saying people who want the open book headstock are wrong, it's all personal preference.

Part of the allure of Tokai guitars is the fact that when they came out, they were unabashedly straight on knockoffs of of Gibson and Fender and for purists if you will, that will always represent a "real" Tokai. That's it....

Why is a Les Paul Reborn more sought after in many cases than a Love Rock..... because it signifies the early, "in your face" approach that Tokai took to Gibson back in the day. A new LS150 will blow the doors off of a Reborn LS60 but some people would prefer the Reborn over the 150 simply for what it is. As you said, it's a mater of personal preference.

I read all the Tokai VS 'G' mumbo jumbo on the internet for 15 years, and then proceeded to blow a "GLP" Standard away with an LS85, lol, didn't even need to go beyond the 85.

To be honest it's not even a competition, irrespective of whether there's a dimple or not, there's only one winner.

Guitar techs can thank their lucky stars not all guitar manufacturers are like Tokai, cause if they were techs would be looking for jobs as plumbers and electricians.

Back