Just got my new Tokai LS 85Q

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C-4

Reaction score
This is just a report on the new Tokai LS 85Q I got from Japan.
For those of you who have not seen a new Japanese Tokai of late, this guitar is closer to a real '59 Les Paul then the Gibsons I have owned...25 Les Pauls from Gibson and most of those were from Gibson's Custom Shop in Kalamazoo, Michigan and some from Nashville.

The detail of the guitar is covered nicely by Tokai right down to the exact size of the mounting rings used on the old LP's, which even Gibson has not covered.

The pots on this guitar are smooth and even tapered in sound from zero to full up. The pickups have a great vintage tone to them and are not at all harsh sounding, but rather take on a tone similar to old PAF's. The toggle switch is closer in feel and look to the original 50's LP's then the Switchcraft toggles on today's LP's and the toggle washer is thin just like the old ones as well.

Cosmetically, this guitar came through flawlessly. No orange peel finish, no missed spots, or poor finish detailing, like where the fretboard is attached to the body in that place where the 2 meet on the bass side of the top just under the toggle switch. All binding was put on perfectly flush to the wood without that feeling of a line where the binding meets the wood.
The color was applied extremely well allowing the darker shades to still allow one to see the wood underneath the finish easily and clearly in detail.

The arch in the top was just as the old LP's were cut. That is, not too much dishing around the edges, and with a flatter crown on the top so that the pickup mounting rings actually are allowed to lay flush to the top of the guitar. The body was supposed to be made of 2 piece mahagony, but even with a magnifying glass, I could not find a seam.

The feel of the neck was wonderfully close to a real '59 LP neck and the frets were impeccably put in. No high or low spots on the fret dressing anywhere on any of the 6 strings. The guitar was most easily intonated using a Peterson 520 strobe allowing accurate chording from the open chords all the way up to the highest spot on the neck that I could play. The nut was correctly cut as well and precisely cut for the feel needed to fret chords in the first position without being too high or too low. (Something other guitar companies should be doing.)

The neck was correctly adjusted and no truss rod adjustment was needed. By the way, Tokai uses the same truss rod nut adjustment as Gibson uses, not the allen wrench type like Fender and some other companies employ.

The overall quality of the Japanese Tokai is on a par with any guitar I have ever seen in my 47+ years of playing professionally. This was not even the top model, but rather a middle of the line model and the workmanship could not have been better. The guitar weighed in at 8 pounds 14 ounces and acoustically it resonated extremely well and loud.

I would not hesitate to buy another Japanese Tokai guitar based on the quality of this piece at all. I don't know how the quality is on the North American versions or the Korean versions they are sending over here, but I bought this guitar in Japan and it is as fine as any American guitar I have ever played.

Good review.

Not sure about the implication that American guitars are best, but otherwise very thorough and good to see a major gibson-head give a fair and objective evaluation. 8)

Hi there,

I am thinking of getting a Les Paul.

A friend bought one a few years ago from London. I am unsure of the model but he loves it...He did mention that the pickups did sound a bit microphonic so he replaced them with Kent Armstrong ones, custom overwounds...

My questions are....
How good are the new Japanese Love Rocks compared to the early 80s one (80 to 85)?

Are the pickups on the new ones pretty good?

And also I can I buy one direct from Japan and How much should I expect to pay for a good one ie LS60 or LS70 or LS80...?

How can you tell whether you have a Korean one or Japanese one, and is the quality the same..ie wood etc sound??

Thanks for you help

Raf
:p

The answers to a couple - to get a new LR from japan will probably cost as much as getting one from the UK after you factor in import taxes etc. It may even cost more if you buy the hardcase with it (an essential for overseas purchases IMO), and then there's the inconvenience of non-local customer services if something goes wrong...

Korean ones have 3 screws on the trussrod cover, japanese have 2. Both are good for their respective prices but the Jap guitars are better all round.

I will take some shots of the LS85Q and send them to my friend who maintains my webpage on his personal site.
To answer the question of cost; I paid 15% off retail because I used a credit card, and there is a Japan sales tax of 5% on everything. I bought a Tokai case, which by the by is much nicer then the Gibson tan and pink Lifton reissue cases and protects and supports the guitar wwwaaaayyyyy better then the Gibson case does. Add shipping and my total cost was $915 delivered.

I bought this guitar in Japan as the Tokai company prohibits sale of their replica series Les Pauls in North America. I would not have considered buying a Korean Tokai as I only wanted the real deal.

While I love my Gibsons and and just picked up a second CS356F-59 in Honeyburst(see webpage below under current gear), it was a choice of either a Gibson R9 or the CS356. I have never had any problems or complaints about any Gibson I have ever owned, so maybe I'm just lucky that way, but if this Tokai works out as well as I think it will, I may opt for a LS320 instead of a Gibson R9 next year. That's how much I love this Tokai guitar. It just has the vibe, the tone, the resonance, and the feel of an original Les Paul more then a reissue Gibson has...to me anyway.
I've been lucky to have been around many many original Les Pauls and played them quite often, so I know when a guitar is close to one or not. Tokai has it down pat!

I have not had the pleasure of playing an early Tokai Reborn or early Love Rock, but the new ones are just amazing and could not have pleased me more. I feel like I just bought an original 59 Les Paul brand new. With me, I want to know the history of a used piece, so buying a new one was a good thing. If you are not old enough to have been around original Les Pauls, don't waste your hard-earned money on a stock Gibson Les Paul when Tokai will get you closer to the feel of an original then Gibson will...unless you opt for a new R9 at $4000 plus dollars, and then, I believe Tokai will still satisfy your Les Paul cravings just as well, and maybe better as you will be saving a ton of money and have a guitar that is definitely going to hold it's value, if sold later on.

I cannot wait until my Les Paul toting friends try my Tokai out. They only have ever seen me play Gibson Les Pauls, so this is going to really blow their minds. I can't wait to bust their balls and tell them my Tokai plays more like an original then their recently made stock Gibsons.
Long live the craftsmen in Hamamatsu!

Just bumping this one up, because it would make a nice review for the main site, wouldn't it, Ned? ;)

Here's a photo, probably either him or his friend with his Tokai:

stephen_lespaul.jpg

OK, I've mailed with Stephen (C-4) a few times now, and he confirmed that his LS85Q in violin finish looks similar to the one that togps recently posted in this thread:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=4057

LS85Q%20violin%20finish%20(Large).jpg

Furthermore he's happy about having his review being placed on the main site, so there's no other obstacle to be removed, I guess. Except if togps has something against using one of his pictures for the review which probably is not the case... ;)

Ned, maybe you should move this thread to the Announcement section then and put a [review] tag in front of the subject line, too?

hans-j?rgen said:
Except if togps has something against using one of his pictures for the review which probably is not the case... ;)

Surely not. It is a pleasure for me. Thanks anyhow for your inquiry.

I still have this guitar. So if there is a need, I can make more pics. You know my kind of shooting pics.

togps said:
I still have this guitar. So if there is a need, I can make more pics. You know my kind of shooting pics.
I don't know what Ned thinks, but perhaps one from the back and one showing the whole guitar, and maybe with a bit lower resolution and/or size, because he has to host them on his server then?

hans-j?rgen said:
I don't know what Ned thinks, but perhaps one from the back and one showing the whole guitar, and maybe with a bit lower resolution and/or size, because he has to host them on his server then?
I still don't know what Ned thinks ;) , but here are the two pictures that togps mailed me:

LS85Q,VF(1)(Small).JPG

LS85Q,VF(Small).jpg

congratulations man on the LS85Q, i got one in Oak color 2 weeks ago and i am soooo stoked with it!

Hi everybody. I just got a new Tokai LS85Q with oak coloring as a birthday gift from my wife. One thing bothers me. Should there be a pick guard delivered with this guitar ? Maybe I don't attach it but ...

Matti

Back