It arrived in 2 days! Sweet!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I was referring to my guitar of which there are pictures on page 1 of the pickups.

I resurrected this thread cause I saw that other one about Dry Z's which is now locked because of all the b.tching going back and forth.

I don't remember the details but when I was buying mine I read through it. Apparently someone had the same situation as me....a late 81 1000C that has pickups with no stamps.....sold it to someone else here and then were accused of scamming because there were no Z stamps on the pickups.

All I'm trying to say is that in all likelihood he's not scamming and those pickups are probably Dry Z's.

Going on the fact that there are no set rules with any Japanese manufacturers anything is possible, plenty of Greco catalogue specs are only guidelines so its all just speculation. I have seen plenty of Greco's that in the catalogues say they are 2 piece tops and 2 piece backs but actually have 3 piece tops and 3 piece backs. A lot of the time the catalogues are just a general guide. This gets even more confusing in the transitional periods, Super Real to Mint collection.

Mick

soundcreation said:
Well I was referring to my guitar of which there are pictures on page 1 of the pickups.

I resurrected this thread cause I saw that other one about Dry Z's which is now locked because of all the b.tching going back and forth.

I don't remember the details but when I was buying mine I read through it. Apparently someone had the same situation as me....a late 81 1000C that has pickups with no stamps.....sold it to someone else here and then were accused of scamming because there were no Z stamps on the pickups.

All I'm trying to say is that in all likelihood he's not scamming and those pickups are probably Dry Z's.

Hi,
That guitar was originally mine...
When I conducted the research with the help of Joe (Sushi/Tokai Joe), we discovered that...

1. The only difference between EG800 and EG1000 are....
EG1000 has DRY Zs but 800 has PU2s............
EG1000 has the trussrodcover "SUPER REAL" but 800 has the trusrodcover "SUPER SOUND".........
EG1000 has the Super Kluson Style tuners but 800 has the japanese greco tuners.....................................
Both models can have more than 1 piece body like 2 or 3......there is no mention of the 1 piece back for EG1000 on the catalog.....they just say solid back

2. Dry Z is in the EG1000C from december 1981 because, that is what the major selling point is! so why would anyone pay extra 20,000 yen for just truss rod cover and tuners? NOPE!... it is becasue it also have Dry Z ... If not customers will demand to know why....and they would really be pi$$ed off!!!!!

3. You really got to hear the pickups to know that they are rather special, yes it is true, you can't compare one guitar against another, very true, however, when you hear a guitar that has Dry Z... it has got the WOW factor, really difficult to put into words here, but it is the CLARITY and SUSTAIN that you really notice.

regards,
Mick

edit EG1000C tuners are the super kluson style

Here's another one here and it doesn't have grovers.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220486261697

Another interesting point is that in the catalogues i have seen all the EGC 1000's were Black only, does anyone have the actual catalogue.? I have the first Mint Collection catalogue and it also only has the EGC 58-100 {same guitar but in Mint Collection same logo as the one in question} and also it is only in black, it does show the Vintage Sunburst but only in the 68-80 and the 58-50 models. The super real 1200's had 2 piece backs so i can't see a lesser model having 1 piece, but once again this isn't carved in stone.
2. Dry Z is in the EG1000C from december 1981 because, that is what the major selling point is! so why would anyone pay extra 20,000 yen for just truss rod cover and tuners? NOPE!... it is becasue it also have Dry Z ... If not customers will demand to know why....and they would really be pi$$ed off!!!!!

I can understand you saying that now but in 1980-1981 there was no mystique surrounding these pickups so i doubt that would have been a consideration then, most people no stuff all about pickups and i would have been more pissed off if i had bought a higher end guitar with a more obvious 3 piece back when the specs said 2 piece,although once again most people wouldn't pick it. The pickups listed for the mint collection 1000 are also listed for sale for 20,000 yen and are called "groove" pickups, these were the same price as the dry Z and the Dry 1982. In the spec sheet i have for the super real models it already has Screamin pickups listed, these were a fujigen pickup and it is quite possible that the Maxon pickups were fazed out as the Super Real guitars were coming to the end of their run. The spec sheet i have is in Japanese so i will get it translated as it has specs for all super real era guitars from that year. Now don't get upset guys as from what i can tell know one knows for sure and may well never, just pointing out some facts.

Mick

1981 catalog here

http://www.grecoguitars.de/images/catalgues/Greco-1981-Volume13.pdf

Note tuners for EG1000C are the Super Kluson type (i edited my posting above)

Note colours for EG800C and EG1000C are the same codes being B R VS, I am getting more tranlations shortly.

Mick

That catalogue is the same one that i have the spec sheet from. A couple of interesting points.
1. Its strange that there is no picture of the EGC 1000 only the EG1000, the C designation was given to the see thru model Customs,this proves nothing but is interesting.

2. As i was saying earlier,at this time there were already quite a few Fujigen pickups in the range, Screamin, hot lick, groove and therefore it is entirely possible that they were using Dry 1982 pickups in some models. They were using the Mint Collection Logo as well, so these were definitely transitional models, i have seen 1982 Greco lower models with fret binding another left over from the super real models, so there was a bit of mixing and matching for sure.

3 Considering the Dry Z's were there best pickup it is also reasonable to assume that they could run out of them first as they were only ordered in small batches and not as common as other models.

In summing up i would say there is more than a reasonable chance that the pickups that were unmarked were in fact Dry 1982, even in their own spec sheet the only refer to them as "dry" the same as the later Mint collection Catalogues which i have checked them against. If this was so i wouldn't worry too much as i rate the Dry 1982's as well, i have compared them to the hand wound boutique pickups i have in some of my LP's and they are right up there with them, i also have Bill Lawerance USA pickups and Seymore Duncans and i prefer the Dry 1982's, they have more clarity and warmth. This is no guess either as i am an ear player and have perfect pitch. Nothing set in stone but a bit to think about..

Mick

Soundcreation wrote: don't know the complete story as I'm not really interested in back reading the whole drama and bickering but it appears someone is being accused of being a liar about a super real custom 1000 with the unmarked pickups?

Maybe you should have read the whole thread because your assumption is wrong.

What i have posted here has nothing to do with the other post, just what i have seen and read. One thing that may help you would be to get a multi meter and check the resistance of your pickups and try and find someone with Dry1982's that can do the same and compare. Nothing i have posted is conclusive but it proves that there were crossover parts in both Super real and early Mint Collection guitars.

Mick

OK well I apologize if the issue has been solved or I miss understood what was going but I saw the thread was locked and some obvious bickering in the last few posts and remembered what I had read before.

1) yeah could be just a typo or greco assumes you know what a Custom is. In the 80 catalog all the colors are listed under 1000C.

edit: LOL...I just looked at the sticker on the back of my headstock as I was playing and it too only says EG 1000. No C. I guess they probably didn't want to make separate stickers.

2)I still don't see greco putting pickups into a guitar that are different than what they've already advertised.

3) possibly.

They only referred to them as "dry" in the 1980 catalog as well so I think the term "dry" has always been their reference for Dry Z. I would have no trouble accepting them as Dry 82's but they don't match any of the pictures I've seen of dry 82's with there more all around silver look. They do look like all the dry Z pictures I've seen so that's why I think they're dry Z and not 82.

Like I said...I'd be willing to change my opinion but I still think at this point my reasoning is the most logical explanation.

Even if some sets of unstamped pickups exist, which is possible, I think most serious guitar people like us are going to want the provenance of the properly marked pickups before spending the big money.

Cali Girl said:
Even if some sets of unstamped pickups exist, which is possible, I think most serious guitar people like us are going to want the provenance of the properly marked pickups before spending the big money.
+1
A dry Z without his "Z" isn't a dry Z... :lol: :wink:

Cali Girl said:

tru dat ......................

soundcreation said:
2)I still don't see greco putting pickups into a guitar that are different than what they've already advertised.

Catalog shows this model as having PU-2 pups but has pickup bases stamped with a Z so, I assume it has original Dry Zs.
http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14243
All of the solder looks to be original & unmolested.

I understand your statement & I also agree but in the particular case of my MSV850, I?m glad to believe your statement is not completely 100% true.

Hi,
There are more difference between EG800C and EG1000C

The Big Giveaway is that
EG800C has Brazilian Rosewood fretboard (that is what it appears to translate as, can someone else translate it too?)
EG1000C has Ebony Fretboard

As for pickups, there was an error by me, EG800C is actually Screamin PU X 2, and not PU-2 as I first wrote (can't read sometimes 1981 cat cleary states screamin). Then in the mint collection EG68-80 they put in higher 'Double Trick' pickups,

Both are Nitro finish.

The colour of the guitar I owned, and yours soundcreation is Black Sunburst!!! The code WAS called BS (black sunburst) in 1980 catalog, this code is changed in 1981 to be VS...why? who knows?!
here is a mint collection EG68-80 in black sunburst colour but colour code is VS

http://psyco.jp/greco/file/tmc_6.html

Yes, the catalog for 1980 and 1981 state Dry only, which is Dry Z, the baseplates on the EG1000C I had was not the Dry 1982 type.

All December 1981 EG1000C I have seen do not have stamped pickups....yet all EGF1200 have stamped pickups :cry:

regards,
Mick

It might be that someone took the Zs out of it and sold them seperately.
The pots are weird. Should be regular ones cause I have had 4 of those.
Many Grecos also have red pen marks on the pots.

But if its a good guitar it doesn't really matter.
A player is a player.

Yes, the catalog for 1980 and 1981 state Dry only, which is Dry Z,

Dry 1982 are referred to as "dry" only as well AND just to throw a spanner in the works, there were at least 3 types of Dry Z pickups, although i have only seen 1 type in the LP's

Mick

Well that's the thing. If I were to sell mine...which I don't see myself doing....I would give people all this info and let them make up their own minds. Yes I wouldn't get as much probably, but then I payed under 70000 yen for it so I got a great deal in the first place.

See I always thought the catalog of the EGC800 looked more like rosewood than ebony, but it's pretty hard to tell so I didn't bother suggesting it. If that is a difference then I for sure know mine is a 1000. Which I don't doubt anyway.

I've also heard that color referred to as "vintage burst" or "violin burst" so the VS thing makes sense.

Koubayashi,,, It could be someone swapped them but then they found another set of pickups with base plates that look exactly like Dry Z's? That's the part that doesn't make any sense to me. Someone doing that would just throw whatever they had lying around into the guitar.

I thought the pots were strange too but someone earlier in the thread said they were normal for the guitar.

Lead, I know some others have taken issue with the "3 different types of dry Z's" on these boards. What are the differences? Are there any pictures or documents showing three different types?

For me this whole thing is more an interesting mystery than anything else. My guitar sounds great, and the pickups are amazing.

Hi SC, i'll post a catalogue pic for you, there's one i don't have a pic of and thats the ones that Koizumi referred to and was, shot down for suggesting, i have been told about these by one of my Japanese buyers who also knows Koizumi. These pages are hard to read but if you can zoom in on them you can read it quite clearly. Look at the MT models

tmc_7.jpg

In the second link they are referred to as "dry bb"
tmc_8.jpg

Mick

That's interesting because recently on rinkya I saw a double cut greco BG (kind of fenderish style) model with single coils that were listed as dry on the pickup covers. What year is that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back