is this a tokai strat? brand name Diplomat. + other tokai`s

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mukuzi

Reaction score
here are my sweet sweet guitars
i think they are all made by tokai, the prs se soapbar made in korea, now fully stripped and singing, the stock japanese goldtop with a black 50 sticker behind the peg head and delux tuners and finally the diplomat start. someione said it might be a tokai, anyway its a keeper, all stock except i painted the pick gard black with permanent marker. no seriel number but made in japan back plate, slightly smaller than an ibanez neck plate from a similar era
any ideas
skunk stripe, goto tuners with G on them, truss rod plug, one piece maple neck, quite fat and staggared pick up pole pieces
any info on any of these guitars would be good
cheers guys, lets hope i can post the pic
sorry cant post pic
any ideas on a diplomat strat

I read somewhere that Stevie Ray Vaughan had one - apparently bought in NZ.

From what I gather the diplomat range were MIJ guitars sold in New Zealand (I have no idea who made them or when).

:lol: Garbage! Thats too funny!!! The Kluson style are the only machines I have, with the Jackson Soloist being the exception. Tokai has become the name to legitimize anything MIJ. I don't know the "Diplomatic" answer. I did see a Pheonix Strat once that reeked of Tokai but the same could be said about my Greco Strat!? Anyone here seen an early 80's MIJ not for export Yamaha Strat? I saw one last week and they nailed it! We need Mike Robinson of Vintage Guitar to spill what he knows abou Tokai! I'll see what I can do about that...TG :wink:

You're right Tokaiguy.Everybody wants/guess his MIJ guitar being a Tokai letely...Peter Mac has discovered more than one old fake Tokais(this was neraly impossible to think years ago! :roll: ).I can saynnot all MIJ old stuff is good,some is just fair,some is good and some is great...but if we take te price the guitars have we have a clue to start.....I've seen a lot of guitars for sale claimimg to be a Tokai without the original logo what it makes sense as a lot of people put a Fenda or Gibbo logo instead.....it puts the resale value down nowadays.

bruceboomstick said:
I read somewhere that Stevie Ray Vaughan had one - apparently bought in NZ.

From what I gather the diplomat range were MIJ guitars sold in New Zealand (I have no idea who made them or when).

i got mine in nz too, 60 bux weel spent.
i`m not claming its a tokai, some guy just asked if it was one. i dont know, i thort it was an ibanez but the plate is slightly smaller than the ibanez neck plate, it is probably close to a very early 70`s ibanez neck plate, or a tokai. no seriel number though
its heavy as hell and obviously playes like buttah

o.k
our new drummer says diplomat were a brand taken over by ibanez in the late 70`s

Latest posts

Back