Information re "Bigsby" Korean Love Rock Tokai

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromet

Reaction score
Hi,

First post - so please excuse me if I haven't found what I am looking for within the Forums.
I have just acquired my first Tokai Love Rock model.
The reverse of the headstock says "Made in Korea" but I can't find a serial number anywhere - did the Korean models have serial numbers? It's also equipped with a Bigsby style tremolo arm with a Tokai logo. I have taken photo's of the Guitar but these are not on a public http site - so cannot be accessed from this posting
However, there is a guy demonstrating a similar Tokai on Youtube at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBMEaX5PcH0

Mine is more a Cherry Sunburst than his.
If anyone has information or needs some photos to help in identification, then please email me and I will attach photos that way. Question to moderators - I suppose that form of communication is allowed on this forum?

Just an update.
I've examined the Youtube video that I thought showed a similar Tokai to mine. But on further examination, the Youtube Tokai appears to have a genuine Bigsby arm and the pickups on mine are all chrome whereas the Youtube video appears to show black and cream half&half pickups.

Further update - figured how to get photos online - first time I've done this - don't have much cause. But I digress. Anyone interested can now find an overall image of the Korean Tokai at

http://s909.photobucket.com/albums/ac297/Micromet/My%20Guitars/?action=view&current=Korean_Tokai_LP.jpg

Sorry - but I appear to be answering my own question.
Just found the following at Wizard Guitars - which apart from the colour - looks exactly the same as mine. See:

http://www.wizardguitars.com/SolidBodyElectric.php?product=245&action=moreinfo&offset=40

Doesn't really tell me anything that I didn't know - so if anyone can put flesh onto this skeleton knowledge - I would appreciate it.

From Catalogue No 23...check out the ALS56V & 58V.

Made in China, perhaps yours is an earlier version Made In Korea.
Cool guitar.

45866328.jpg

Micromet said:
I have just acquired my first Tokai Love Rock model.
The reverse of the headstock says "Made in Korea" but I can't find a serial number anywhere - did the Korean models have serial numbers?

I had a Korean LS48 in Cherry SB (now my mate's main gigging guitar), & that didn't have a serial number. Maybe some did, I'm not sure, but I'd say most didn't.

Mike

Thanks to Diamond and Stratman323 for replies -especially for pointing out the Tokai Catalogue - what a beautiful reservoir of information.

But its all becoming more intriguing - I really should get back to just playing the thing - but I'm hooked now.
I agree that the ALS56V and ALS58V from the Korean ALS page 6 of the 2000 Catalogue seem to ALMOST fit.
But the Bigsby type Tremolo on mine (and on the one for sale at WizardGuitars) is missing the extra "bar" between the bridge and the Tremolo arm - did Tokai have to change the pattern to avoid copyright infringements?
Also while mine would appear to have the Maple top of the 58, it appears to have the PAF Vintage Mk4 pickups (just visual inspection) of the 56.
And nowhere can I find a tremolo-fitted Tokai in Cherry Sunburst.

Thanks again for the interest and replies - appreciated

I don't know much about Bigsbys (stupid things that don't work properly.... :roll: ), but yours does seem to be missing a bit. For reference, here's the one on my 330:

130_3088.jpg

Maybe your Bigsby was fitted by the first owner?

And here is the LS48 I mentioned above. I assume yours is stamped like this?

119_1959.jpg

Hi Stratman,

It's not really a Bigsby as such - just a Tokai copy of the Bigsby approach. They evidently made them like this (the WizardGuitar version for sale shows the same) - as there is no provision for the extra bar that fits between the bridge and the saddle/tailpiece bar. It wasn't retro-fitted either as you would expect to see the remains of where the original saddle/tailpiece was fitted. Surely no-one would go to the expense of retro-fitting this tremolo and then "re-mapling" and finishing the body - not on a Korean copy.

And yes - mine has the same "Made in Korea" marking as shown in your photo - and the same tuners.

I emailed Bob Murdoch at Tokai Guitars Europe (www.tokai-guitars.co.uk) - a very helpful guy - regarding my Korean Tokai and he has replied to say that they sold these about 4 years ago for ?449.99. They are ALS56V with the same spec as the ALS48 but with changed pickups and the "Bigsby" style tremolo arm fitted.

"So I think that wraps up the case - Watson". Thanks to all for the input.

Just another update:
Looking through the Bigsby catalogue and measuring up my Tokai "Tigsby" arm with those illustrated - it would seem that this Tokai Bigsby style tremolo arm is to all intents and purposes a copy of the Bigsby B-30 Arm. All the dimensions match as well as looking the part.

Back