Help ID'ing a Japan Strat

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbrandes72

Reaction score
Hi there! I am interested to know if anyone here can identify this strat. The pictures are really all I know about it. The original owner scrubbed any identifying marks from the headstock and replaced with a waterslide. Claims its from Japan in the 80's. Thanks!djxpcfo02pe1ssltzfit.jpg

Attachments

• djxpcfo02pe1ssltzfit.jpg
    djxpcfo02pe1ssltzfit.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 0
  • kdsqg8pzksrzijs89tw6.jpg
    kdsqg8pzksrzijs89tw6.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 0
  • n5cgynyhkfdoroddgn4u.jpg
    n5cgynyhkfdoroddgn4u.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 0
  • r1y7wiotxmmzei4phcgz.jpg
    r1y7wiotxmmzei4phcgz.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 0
  • rbwrwewxpdq6k0fdsqj2.jpg
    rbwrwewxpdq6k0fdsqj2.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 0
  • ucgi1ouk0qgtl84mpggx.jpg
    ucgi1ouk0qgtl84mpggx.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 0
  • wjxqunnlaceryrdy1uoz.jpg
    wjxqunnlaceryrdy1uoz.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 0
  • z2d70d57x3vpzg5ag2re.jpg
    z2d70d57x3vpzg5ag2re.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 0
It's not a Tokai. At least nothing I see indicates that except a 4 digit neckplate, but wrong neck, and body.

Pots are from September 1986.

Those pickups could be Fender.

Sigmania is definitely more of an authority on it than I am, but I also say not tokai.

I don’t know much about Fenders, but it doesn’t look like a Tokai.

The neck plate could be Tokai.

The neck looks like a slab 22 fret.

The "what it isn't" game is pointing to the fact that it is leaving pretty much no clues. BTW I have no idea either. :D

It isn't a Greco (or better, it doesn't look like 80s Fujigen) and probably not a Fernandes either, at least not 80s. The body could be 90s Fernandes but unfortunately there is no pic of the neck heel (marks, stamps etc.) and no pic of the routing under the controls. The hole at that position and in that size in the neck pocket would be not typical for anything Squier, the 22F neck could be a bit of a clue but not in that anonymized context. The 4-digit serial neck plate doesn't ring a bell (could be an aftermarket part) so it could be a lot of things including the whole guitar being a partscaster.

I'm afraid somebody did a great job obscuring the age and origin of the guitar (or its parts) beyond my skills, sorry.

Voidoid57 recognizing the guitar and telling you the shoe size of the gurl that wound the middle pickup in 3...2...1... :)

Last edited:
Back