Greco SE-600

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Can I get some seasoned opinions on this Greco? Is this real? It doesn't have the Super Sound logo on it, but it's from the Matsumoku factory. It looks pretty genuine but I'd like a sec on opinion.

Thanks

Matt

http://imageevent.com/chingo123/march2012/grecose600tsblefty1135?p=2&n=1&m=-1&c=4&l=0&w=4&s=0&z=2

It looks genuine to me, i have a 78 SE-500 with the same sticker on the back of the headstock, the neck plate looks original and the headstock script doesn't look like a fake. The body and neck look like they have been in use from at least 1980, chingo, the seller is know to have a good reputation also. I think it's from the fujigen factory though, as i believe they moved production of strats from the Matsumoku factory late '77. Anything is possible and hopefully a real greco expert can chime in about whether or not they recognise the routing as per Greco's of the time.

hi
with that kind of pickup routing it is a Matsumoku made greco
:D :D
all the best
otto

hi
i only own one Matsumoku made greco ,,, and 6 fujigen made ,,, so i dont have much to compare with ,,, the one i own is a se 700 ,,, a bit heavy but very well build ,,, :D :D
all the best
otto

I have seen genuine Greco "Super Sound" strats from 78 and mid 79 that share the same edgy pickup routing, I think by that time the guitars were already Fujigen made!
By end of 1980 Greco strats surely have the rounded routing.

This is just a guess:
Maybe Fujigen changed the pickup routing in early or mid 1980 (more rounded type of routing)

The one we?re talking about is D80xxxx, so April 1980 - to me it looks legit and Fujigen made.

Otto, what is the earliest Greco Fujigen strat that you own ? If you have one thats early or mid 1980 it?d be interesting to look at the routing again.

Best Regards
Len

I always thought they moved production sometime mid '77 ish. I have a Sept '78 greco SE-500 i always thought was fujigen but here's mine for comparison.

11h43k7.jpg

207tamg.jpg

2i9pjyb.jpg

j94rig.jpg

hi
i was surpriced too a 1980 model ... but maybe the had a stock off left hands body ,,, and they just used that ,,,, as allways with mij ,,,, allways an exception
one thing about the older models (necks) ,,,, they do not fit on a fender body
i got 2 necks from super sound ( not super sounds ) and they only fit the old greco body
the super sounds has the same kind off routing as the later super power model and they dont have the same pickups as the higher models ,,,
dont know why ,,,, it does not make sence ,,, to have 2 kind off body routing
but maybe they are made at another factory ,,,, who knows
all the best
otto

You mean the 1980 - 1982 Super Power Strat have the same edgy routing with long cutout on the side as shown by brokentoes ?

haven?t seen a Super Power strat from the inside yet...

hi
yes ,,,
the same wierd routing on the super power model 1980-1982
and the pickups are not like the normal fujigen model
all the best
otto

HI
THIS IS WHAT A SUPER POWER LOOKS LIKE
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GRECO-STRATOCASTER-BODY-VINTAGE-WHITE-MADE-JAPAN-/130438298311?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_146&hash=item1e5eba7ac7
NOT SURE THIS IS A GRECO BODY ,,, BUT IT LOOKS THE SAME

THE SELLER HAS THE SCRATCHPLATE FOR SALE TOO SO YOU CAN SEE THE PICKUPS
ALL THE BEST
OTTO

Hey Otto,

To me the body from your link looks very odd. I honestly do not think that is a greco body.

If you mean Greco Super Power Strats from 1980-1982, their bodies look completely different
I stole this photo from yahoo.com :)

kotetsu888jp-img600x450-1332067485c3adjl62033.jpg

I have a Super Power strat coming btw, but will take some more weeks to arrive.
I can provide photos of the Pickups and Routing then.

Best Regards,
Len

hi
yes just the picture i have been looking for .... :D :D
and i did say i was not sure it was a greco ,,, but looked the same (not 100%)
dont know why ,,, think they are made at some other factory than fujigen
all the best
otto

hi
here is a super power
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1981-Greco-Super-Power-SE-380-Stratocaster-Sunburst-Guitar-MJ-/221005140557?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3374eed24d
so you can see what i am talking about
all the best
otto

Back