Good,solid, les paul clone?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
spoonbadger said:
...To be honest, it's not that i wanted a fully flamed maple cap for dirt cheap, i'd just prefer a cap with average grain than some tacky looking laminate...

exactly why i don't like veneers... i'd much rather prefer a 3 piece maple cap with average grain than a 2 piece laminate top designed to give the false impression that a quality AAA flame piece of maple has been used. it's just fake and tacky.

spoonbadger said:
oh wow, 18 replies on a thread started by a newb, i like this place ;)....

Well you asked a sensible question... :wink:

Reading your original post, I see that you stated that it was a photo top that you didn't want, you didn't mention a laminate top.

A laminate top will shrink if you keep the guitar in a damp garage for 20 years, otherwise you will have no problems at all. The laminates on the new edwards & Tokai's are pretty thick too, and you would be very hard pushed to tell it wasn't a solid top, it jut means you get a lovely flame top for a lot less cash.

ok... I got to push the issue....If laminate tops are not popular or what seems to be in the players and collectors eyes in this thread... Why is the Greco Super Real EGF-1200 worth some much and sought after day in and day out and sky rocketing in price?... if it has a laminate top?

CliffsComicWorld said:
ok... I got to push the issue....If laminate tops are not popular or what seems to be in the players and collectors eyes in this thread... Why is the Greco Super Real EGF-1200 worth some much and sought after day in and day out and sky rocketing in price?... if it has a laminate top?

I guess they all want to own some DryZ pups ... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

... getting a LP type guitar for free additionally ... :wink:

Roger

CliffsComicWorld said:

.................... it's all about market conditions based on availablity versus demand, and many people in this big wide world just happen to have more money than they actually need ....................... :wink: ...................

JohnA said:
A laminate top will shrink if you keep the guitar in a damp garage for 20 years, otherwise you will have no problems at all. The laminates on the new edwards & Tokai's are pretty thick too, and you would be very hard pushed to tell it wasn't a solid top, it jut means you get a lovely flame top for a lot less cash.

for the sake of debate, let's say that guitarist X has a gig playing every 4 or so nights out of 7 nights a week, for a 4 or 5 month tour.
Let's also say that guitarist X plays a 90 minute to 120 set.
Let's also say that guitarist X sweats quite a bit, while playing, and his guitar gets quite a bit of moisture on it.
Let's also say that guitarist X plays a veneer/laminate top Les Paul style guitar, as his main player.
So, after a few years of this type of use, the veener top starts to delaminate, and peel at the upper bout edge, and at other areas, near the binding.

Guitarist X only played the Hell outta his veneer topped Les Paul copy (which is what guitars are made for), yet he didn't keep it in a damp garage for 20 years.

If guitarist X would have done the same thing with a solid top guitar, the delamination scenario would be virtually impossible.

I really don't think 'Guitarist-X' would have any problems with de-lamination. I've seen plenty of laminate tops on guitars in need of a re-fret, with very tarnished hardware thet have obviously been well used. A laminate top will stand up to heavy use without a problem.

cracking / separating is NOT a common problem on laminate topped guitars, 99% will last 20 years or more with no issues, the ones I have seen with any delamination issues are very few and far between...

for players theres no noticable tonal difference, and no visual difference.

its a matter of personal choice, some people prefer solid tops, others dont mind either, I personally prefer solid tops, simply for the authenticity of the specs, but having said that I never fail to take my EGF-1200 when gigging... it's just a better guitar for me than most others..and I do have a few to choose from :D :D

Back