Goldstar headstock shape

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I know I should probably know this, but I'm still confused about exactly when the headstock shape on Goldstars changed from the "correct" Fender shape to the modified shape. I imagine that it varied from country to country, so it's the UK market that interests me most.

I know that in 1983 block decal Springys first appeared, changing to block decal Goldstars the same year (apparently identical guitars?). I know that the new script decal Goldstars were on sale in London in December 1983, as I bought an ST50 then.

Some people quote 1985 as the changeover date, but I find the Registry confusing and ambiguous about this. I know it confuses other people too, as seen in this ad, currently on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260213543023&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=016

I contacted the seller to point out that it wasn't a 1984 model, but they replied by referring me to the Registry, and it's not clear from that page exactly when the change took place.

So could somebody please give me the definitive answer to this question? And could someone please amend the Registry pages, as they are not as clear as they could be. For example, there is no mention of block decal Goldstars, but this forum has clearly established that they existed in 1983. The Registry is only of use if it's accurate and clear.....

Mike

Ha Ha i emailed the same question.From the head stock on this one its for a 1984 AST which is for the USA, for the UK market it was a ST and i thought the change over for the UK was 1985. :-? I think??

Back