Gold star one piece body???

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes I would say it is a solid body but or course not one piece.. The fret board just does not have much if any grain in it almost like ebony...Really need to look at pups and see what they are... he tells me he will change the strings in couple of weeks... thanks 323

stratman323 said:
So this thread has all been about the Goldstar than JohnA sold? I remember that one - so it looks as though it was one of only two or three genuine Goldstar ST80s that have been identified on the forum in the last year or so. Cool. So we can all be pretty confident now that a Goldstar ST80 has a V profile neck & a nitro finish?

yeah, i think mine has the v-neck (as John's already said). I'm not that well up on neck profiles, but it did feel noticeably like a "V" when i first tried it (doesn't feel as noticeable now as i'm more used to it), and felt similar to the few guitars i've tried which were described to me as having a V neck...

this thread wasn't about that guitar, we just hijacked it. :oops: sorry about that.

regarding those one-piece bodies, i seem to remember reading somewhere (in a magazine, i guess) that eric johnson (who else?! :lol: ) liked the one-piece bodies best on the vintage strats, but i'm guessing they're rare (and knowing him he's probably bought them all anyway)...

:)

I believe the originals are very rare, but if you're Eric Johnson, you just ask Fender nicely and I'm sure they'll find enough big bits of ash to make you several one piece Strats!

From Duchossoir's "The Fender Stratocaster"

In 1954 the Stratocaster was introduced with an ash body, often figured and generally made of two pieces, although one piece & three piece bodies are known to exist.

After 1956 Fender switched over to alder, and ash was then only retained for the guitars with a Blond finish, and sometimes custom colours.

The only bit I don't understand is why they would use ash for some custom colours (i.e. solid colours). :eek:

^ yeah. maybe it took the paint better?

now that you mention the switch from ash to alder, from what i also remember from that interview, he said he preferred alder. :)

Alder is easier to seal than ash, so easier to paint. I think it's cheaper too, & it's also more consistent in weight than ash, which can either be very light or very heavy.

Alder is dull to look at, but most of the classic pre CBS Strats are alder, so I guess the "classic Strat sound" is alder.

i don't know anything about paint etc., i was just throwing it out there. if that's the case, you're right, it is a bit strange that they used ash for custom colours. unless they just had some left over (but then why not use that for the normal production colours?)? :-?

Latest posts

Back