• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

FS: Tokai Love Rock Limited Edition 2001

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, i just got a reply from Mr Adaichi and this is what it said,

Dear Mr. Mick Herdman,

We never made such tag for our guitars. The guitar seems to be faked.

Best regards,

Tokai.

I will keep this email in my inbox and get Ozeshin to verify it if there are any problems.

Mick

leadguitar_323 said:
Well, i just got a reply from Mr Adaichi and this is what it said,

Dear Mr. Mick Herdman,

We never made such tag for our guitars. The guitar seems to be faked.

Best regards,

Tokai.

I will keep this email in my inbox and get Ozeshin to verify it if there are any problems.

Mick

The Korean made Limited Editions did exist but the one in this post is suspect.....the TRC is wrong and the tag while similar, doesn't look right. The actual Limited Editions were made in Korea to Japanese specs

Those guitars were distributed exclusively by Mike's Music in Toronto. The trussrod cover on them read MM2001 Limited Edition (hence the 2001 date they were offered and MM meaning Mike's Music).

There were three models - two 59 style - one in cherry and one violin finish. There was also a 56 goldtop with P90's
I owned both a 59 and 56 Limited Edition.... have pics somewhere. They were fantastic guitars.

tokaiLoveRock004.jpg

Here is the info from the forum:

2001 Limited Edition Love Rocks
These guitars are designed to be a lower cost version of the Japanese guitar and are built in Korea. These Limited Editions are NOT Korean style Tokais, they are Japanese "Models". In other words they are built to Japanese specs instead of Korean specs. Instead of Alder, they are made with solid mahogany throughout and are set up and constructed like the great Tokai's of the past. Differences between the 2001's and the Original 1970's/80's Love Rocks are mainly in the bridge mount in that the posts were screwed right into the body. Also, I've been told that these guitars have a scarf jointed headstock which is different from the Japanese made Love Rocks.
These guitars are numbered by the model, no serial number. Each of the three models has corresponding numbers stamped on the back in Gold ink like the old 1958-59 Les Pauls. And yes, the Truss Rod Covers say: MM2001 Limited Edition. These are limited guitars. They will stop making these special models in December of 2001.

Here are the total specs:

Solid Mahogany Set Neck and Body
PAF Pickups (P90's in Gold Top).
Sycamore Flamed Tops on Models 205802 & 201959.
High Quality Electronics throughout.
Cream Pickguard
"Klusson" Copy Tuners
Each guitar comes set up with "10 Gauge" Guitar Strings
The guitar has been ID'd!!!

hi again,

i bought this "suspect" guitar from a private person who made it his hobby to bring tokais from the US and CDN to germany, where, at that time, tokais were hard to find.
so it is entirely possible that he obtained some from an early production run and brought them overseas. i got it in autumn 2000, so before 2001.
don't know about the tags, they are just what came with it.
maybe this axe could even be a fake, but the specs are still what they claim to be, and it is a good guitar with flawless finish and action right from the start. but would you judge that only from a blank trc?

more comments?

Oliver

Goldtop 57 said:
hi again,

i bought this "suspect" guitar from a private person who made it his hobby to bring tokais from the US and CDN to germany, where, at that time, tokais were hard to find.
so it is entirely possible that he obtained some from an early production run and brought them overseas. i got it in autumn 2000, so before 2001.
maybe this axe could even be a fake, but the specs are still what they claim to be, and it is a good guitar with flawless finish and action right from the start. but would you judge that only from a blank trc?

more comments?

Oliver

Bro, I'm not bagging on your guitar..... just filling in some of the blanks. The Limited Editions came out in 2001 - not 2000 - tag or no tag. Doesn't matter to me but it might to someone who wants to buy it.

I asked Mike?s Music back in 2001-2002,still have site specs of that guitar.
In that time there was not any fake controversy so I would not included this one on fakes,maybe unauthorized?. Fake affair was before 2005 if I recall well.

Canadian distributor for these at the time was Active Music right?
I have a record with his appereance in old forum making things clear for us regarding these guitars and saying korean made and I regarded the info from him because we were learning. No one said a bad thing of it back in the day.

There's a bunch of info about these on the forum dating all the way back to 2001. Do a search for limited edition MM2001 and there's plenty to read. Here are a couple threads:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=25&highlight=limited+edition+mm2001

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1189&highlight=limited+edition+mm2001

Hello all, the guitar in question in this thread is NOT a Tokai, there is no here say in this one, i got the answer from Tokai, so there is no disputing that, also one of our long term members who is an agent for Tokai helped me with this one. I really don't know a great deal about the MM2001 models but i will find out.. :wink:

Goldtop 57, it seems like this is a very well made guitar and i am sure no one here was suggesting that is was a poor guitar, the problem is that it is NOT a Tokai.

Mick

Hi Marcus, there is a lot of "incorrect" information in those links that you posted, the posts, like a lot of registry info on this site, need updating.
At NO time was Active Music Products "allowed" to have its own models made, the reason he made "FAKES" is because Tokai would not make the models he wanted, which makes me very suspicious about the ones from Mikes Music because apparently they were ordered through Active Music.
I will ask Tokai and put this to bed one way or another ASAP.

Mick

hi again,

more comments?

Like i said, this guitar is NOT a Tokai, if it was, Tokai would have said it was. That paperwork has been photocopied and doctored up to look like official Tokai documents, The guy that had these made was trying to deceive people into thinking that these were made by Tokai, and to trade off their good name, Tokai used to deal with him but when he started to have his own models made Tokai dumped him. This is not hearsay, it is a FACT.

Mick

leadguitar_323 said:
Hi Marcus, there is a lot of "incorrect" information in those links that you posted, the posts, like a lot of registry info on this site, need updating.
At NO time was Active Music Products "allowed" to have its own models made, the reason he made "FAKES" is because Tokai would not make the models he wanted, which makes me very suspicious about the ones from Mikes Music because apparently they were ordered through Active Music.
I will ask Tokai and put this to bed one way or another ASAP.

Mick

Thanks..... now I'm curious if I'd been had.....twice.

Wonder what Mike would say? We still have him in the LINKS section of the forum:

http://www.mikesmusiconline.com/

leadguitar_323 said:
Marcus, can you supply some more pics of your 2001 LTD EDT please and if you still have those tags can you post pics of them as well.?

Mick

Will do..... if I can find them. Back in 2001 was well before the affordable digital camera age and the pics were good old fashioned hard copies from negatives.

Wonder what Mike would say? We still have him in the LINKS section of the forum:

There are a couple of links to Canadian sites there that still sell fakes.

I took digital photo's of my old bike photo's and they turned out pretty good, just make sure you get the whole photo in the digital camera's screen.

Mick

and I regarded the info from him because we were learning.
That's a really good comment Luis....
Since we've been scrutinizing various models over the past couple of years we've learned a lot...not just about Tokai models...but how to spot Fakes.
We're STILL learning...but just quietly Mike and I are uncovering some stuff here that's proving that the fakes are still being produced in Korea and are STILL being sold in stores all over Canada.

check out these two PRS style guitars....one says Tokai and the other is a Dillion being sold by a Canadian store right now...it's the same guitar ffs :roll:
dillion1.jpg

tokifake.jpg

fak2.jpg

Like I said...it's been a learning process but we're certainly stirring up a hornet's nest of fakes here :eek:

Yeah I know...
I seriously thought that we were just dealing with that initial run of Fakai's from 2005.....looks like I'm gonna have my work cut ouut for me at Almost Tokai.com if the buggers are still making them :evil:

hello all again,

this really is a wasp's nest that i seem to have opened, right?

what i wonder, tho - why wouuld anyone go through the pains and have themselves a fake series of guitars made with the intention of selling them under the name of tokai, when the specs are not much different from something like a ls60 or so? i mean, building guitars like this costs, and would the revenue of selling it as tokai be that good to do all this? i could understand if it was all cheapo stuff sold as tokai - you'd obviously made a fortune of that.

anyway - the guitar as described in the first posting is not for sale anymore. i took the super distortions out and have them on ebay germany at the moment. i replaced them with some ibanez hb's i still had lying around and it goes without the case. still, as it is, it is a much better guitar than the als series that pop up in germany for around 400?.

cheers, and thx for all the info you provide. with all your knowledge, i'd be happy to have your input into my other thread, too :)

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=13881

cheers,

Oliver

this really is a wasp's nest that i seem to have opened, right?

Actually we have been researching this for close on 2 years now, so no surprises there. He was just trading off Tokai's good name, he is now using the name " Rockingbetter" on the Dillions, this is a Tokai name as well.... :eek:

Mick

leadguitar_323 said:
.... he is now using the name " Rockingbetter" on the Dillions, this is a Tokai name as well.... :eek:

Mick

Mr. Hall might disagree with you on that point Mick!

Latest posts

Back