ES60 neck profile.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bihlas

Reaction score
Hello, i am interested in buying an ES60 but there is not a chance of trying one,
i'm from Greece. I have tried a friend's LS48 and found the construction and
quality satisfactory, i suppose it's the same case with the ES60. So, i am only
concerned about the neck profile, i own 2 Gibson copies, an sg with '50s profile
and an lp dc specialnwith '60s. I hope the ES comes somewhere in between, is
that the case? Does anyone know how much an ES weights?
Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure how to describe the neck profile on the ES60s.

I'll say this much, it's a very very nice neck, very easy to play.
Narrow at the nut, I reckon about 41mm, narrower than let's say a Love Rock, and also not as chunky in depth as a Love Rock neck.

Surprisingly good guitars, you need to do a little finishing off yourself, like re cutting the nut, and a general check up, but once you've done that you end up with a pretty awesome guitar.
The nut is left high, so re cutting it works out perfectly.

Tuners seem really nice, the rosewood on the necks have a nice even grain, and dark in colour.
They sound good with the stock pickups, I'd imagine a set of MK2s would be a nice upgrade.

There's a reason the MIC is on a sticker, so it can be removed once you buy the guitar. :)

Diamond said:
Narrow at the nut, I reckon about 41mm, narrower than let's say a Love Rock, and also not as chunky in depth as a Love Rock neck.
That sounds great :D It will very possibly be my next toy, i just hope the frets
won't need leveling, i am used to low action with 11s. Thanks again.

bihlas said:
Diamond said:
That sounds great :D It will very possibly be my next toy, i just hope the frets
won't need leveling, i am used to low action with 11s. Thanks again.

I didn't need to level the frets, but I did give them a good polish and oiled the fretboard...I'll take some photos just now for you.

es60s.jpg

Nice! It's a tough choice between the burst and the natural but i suppose i'm too young for a burst :D. How do they balance with a strap?

Hi,

sorry, thought i'd chime in; i've just sold my ES60, which was a killer, as it was a really nice guitar. I'd agree with all said before, the neck is wonderful to play, but the nut that came on mine when i bought it was horrible - and actually oversized for the neck it was on (it was re-cut, but eventually scrapped for a bone nut). I remember the stock humbuckers were surprisingly good though, did consider leaving them in.

Apart from the nut, the only things I definitely had to get rid of were the pots; but given some of the guitars I've had, that's not too much to replace in the grand scheme of things to make ?300-price range guitar into an excellent guitar.

Would buy one again in heart-beat if I really needed that sound again.

Diamond said:
I'm not sure how to describe the neck profile on the ES60s.

Several months ago I came across a great post from a member on this forum about neck profiles. It clarified a language for neck profiles, and defined the 50/60's slim, fat, thick, taper, profiles in a way few have expressed.
I've done searches to find this post but have not been able to locate it.
If any one can post or redirect to that thread, I'd like to read it again.

Back