Elitist?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trufflepig

Reaction score
What's peoples opinions of the Epiphone Elitist range?
Have they succeeded in playing catchup or overtaken their peers?
I feel quite spoilt rotten nowadays due to the plethora of quality guitars at a fair price (apart from the 'lefty' issues that is).
Apologies if this is a bit 'off topic', I do realise this is a Tokai forum.

They do approach Tokai standards in terms of quality, but their headstocks are a horrible shape and they are much more expensive than other, similar japanese guitars.

I'd give them a miss purely on the value-for-money aspect.

domestic models have the Gibson headstock. there are 2 Elite SGs for sale in a local shop, been there for ages at about $500.oo new...with no takers. But...in Japan the natives are willing spend almost anything for MIAs...and they do. Still...if those two are there for the new years sales, I just may have to get one...or both.

What does this offer sound like?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-Epiphone-Elitist-Elite-Lefty-w-Hd-Case_W0QQitemZ260054280158QQihZ016QQcategoryZ38086QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Say compared to the Edwards E-LP-85SD/LH

trufflepig,

I cannot follow this seller who says "Elitist / Elite" although it's just an Elite actually ... :roll:

The Elitists are far better than the Elites ... come close to the Tokais and Gibbos ... but not the Elites - I've been told !

And if MIJ - it should have the shape of the Original headstock - IMHO !!

Roger

thats the first time I`ve heard about the Elitists being better than the Elites... did you hear that from somebody selling an Elitist?
And...were there any Elites/Elitists made outside Japan?...I believe the headstock shape depends on which market the guitar was destined for...but then again, I don`t know everything yet.

sneakyjapan,

did you hear that from somebody selling an Elitist?

... that's too simple, my friend ... :roll:

Isn't the Elitist the higher grade guitar - caused by the chosen wood, the top-finish and the used hardware ???
Look at the prices - they are more than an Elite could reach - not ??

... and BTW - I hate those headstock-size on non-domestic Epis - owned an LP Custom MIK - it was a terrible guitar!

Roger

whats with the rolling eyes ? where I come from thats a sign of disdain.
so...you`ve been told they`re better or you assume because they cost more? Like I said... I`ve never heard that before.

where I come from thats a sign of disdain.

... NO, sneaky, :lol: :lol: , I would never do that !!! :lol:

Isn't the Elitist the higher grade guitar - caused by the chosen wood, the top-finish and the used hardware ???

... that's my argument!!

Roger

Hello guys,

I've heard that Gibson/Epiphone (Fuji...) had to change the name Elite after a conflict with Ovation to Elitist. It should be the same quality, it is only about the name.

Beside that, I am more than happy with my LP Goldtop and SG 61 reissue. Compared to a Gibson LP Studio and a Historic Goldtop they are closer to the range of the Historics. After some tweaks off course, like other PAFs (WCR Crossroads/ Barfuss Vintager) Alu Stoptail etc. Definitly there are significant differences to the Historics, but soundwise and from quality and finish they come close, may be some are similar (long tenon)or better as the average (mine, weighs 3.7 kg...;-)). Both are with the open book headstock. Look here:

www.digimart.net and search for "elitist" or "japan limited" which have possibly the best price/value, both from Epiphpone Japan = Fuji

http://www.musicland.co.jp/shibuya/2f-epiphone_elitist/index.html where my Elitists come from, but better price one year ago...

I would be very much interested to compare them with a Tokai...

Greats
Martin

Good info guys!
Quite honestly I think they are quite good guitars from what I read.
I don't know if I'm so choosy as to exlude them on the finer aspects of cosmetic detail.
Where would you start to inquire, I can't find a dealer anywhere, even if only to do features price comparison.

I don't know if I'm so choosy as to exlude them on the finer aspects of cosmetic detail.

:lol: :lol: I warn you in a friendly manor - many of us had said that but when too many others are reducing your guitar on this aspect you may believe to have made the wrong decision ... it's not a joke !!! :lol: :lol:

I've made my experience with my Edwards and I was ready to sell her after one week already - my "High-grade" LS150 didn't have a long-neck-tenon but I expected her to have one ... all those things can bring you down rather than enjoying the purchase, although you're happy with nearly all of your guitar ...

The doubts will come later - when too many people try to find "a point of fly **** on the overall white vest" of your guitar!! :wink:

So - decide carefully what you're doing - there's no need to regret it afterwards ... :roll:

Good luck!!

Roger

I has a Elite 61 SG faded with the Japanes head stock

I sold it and the buyer said it was as good/better than any Gibson he had

pics...................

EpiEliteLogo2.jpg

EpiHeadFrt.jpg

EpiBodyFrt2.jpg

One of the best SGs I ever played or owned...............

I`ve mentioned the two Elite faded SGs, one brown- one red, in a local shop that have been there for ages and nobody seems to want them...well Friday they had them listed at about $440.oo each...priced to move. Haven`t played them though.

sneakyjapan said:
I`ve mentioned the two Elite faded SGs, one brown- one red, in a local shop that have been there for ages and nobody seems to want them...well Friday they had them listed at about $440.oo each...priced to move. Haven`t played them though.

Hey, Sneak.....I'm interested in the brown one. Any way you can help me contact the seller to arrange a sale? Anyone else have access to the Epi Elite SG's with the proper headstock? PM me if you wish.....

Cheers,

Marcus

No problem....I don't know where you live in Japan and I just thought I'd ask - as a forum brother, I'd have no problem sending you the funds plus a little extra for your efforts. No offense intended....

If anyone else stumbles on one of these, let me know.

Back