Ebay Springy ST-60

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin Connolly

Reaction score
This guitar seems to have been advertised for quite some time. :-?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380239291496&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

I saw a thread somewhere on this forum from 2007 (at least)where the same guitar was being discussed. Never understood (three years later) why it's still in the loop.

Any knowledge about this guitar would be appreciated - value? Currently going for $999 (before extra costs).

Also, for those who like occasional hammer-on/pull-off riffs the high and low e strings seem way too close to the edge of the fingerboard (especially the low e).

Any ideas on these points? Thanks.
Justin

I don't recall seeing it before, but I'll take your word that it's been up for sale for 3 years. The lack of serial number sounds strange. If it's a 1980 ST60 it should have the number on the neckplate, though I suppose that could have been changed. I'm not sure if the very earliest Springys had no serial number - but if that's true it would be a 1977, not a 1980.

It's difficult to comment on prices across the pond - I get the impression that Tokai Strats with the Fender headstock are more of a rarity in the US than in Europe. But if it's been up for sale for that long, it's hard to avoid the conclusion that the price is too high. Also it's not a good time to sell non-essential stuff right now. But it does look nice though.

With regard to the strings being close to the edge of the board, this is something you see on quite a few 60s Strat copies with their slim necks. You get used to it! The Fender US62RIs can be worse offenders in this respect. But you do get a nice slim neck as compensation. :wink:

Mike

The price is too high..... an opening bid of a grand is not going to garner much interest in this economy. He's relisted it at that price every time - has never come down - indicating lack of willingness to bargain.

If it were me, I'd open at $500 with no reserve.

It is all legit.
I contacted the seller and he provided me with pics of the neck pocket and neck that prove it is a 78 early Tokai, which is why it has no serial on the neck plate.

I did see that for sale earlier on this forum in Europe, so some how it made its way to the USA.

I think it is a fine specimen of a rare and early model Tokai, which has the unique features of a skunk striped, rosewood laminate 57 neck, 57 pickguard, and sen ash 62 body.

Really cool in my book.

All these Tokais and Fender JVs will increase in valuein the near future I am sure...

It's a nice guitar but Marcus is right: we're still living in the recession. At that price level I'd have to put it up against a good used US 90s Strat Plus (buying from Ebay Europe) and I'd still have change to pay the rent and bring the missus out for a burger meal! :lol: The ST-60 might climb in value but I'd still be waiting quite a while to get the bank balance to even out after that transaction.

Justin Connolly said:
It's a nice guitar but Marcus is right: we're still living in the recession. At that price level I'd have to put it up against a good used US 90s Strat Plus (buying from Ebay Europe) and I'd still have change to pay the rent and bring the missus out for a burger meal! :lol: The ST-60 might climb in value but I'd still be waiting quite a while to get the bank balance to even out after that transaction.

I'd go $800 tops on it

I noticed the pickup routs look more like Fender Japan than any of the Springys' I own. Experts, what's up with that?

Hi,
On my 2 ST80 routes, there are shallow round holes towards the ends of the pickup routes and no ST80 but a #=# with a color code printed although, these are a 1980 and 1981. Were they different before 1980?
Thanks

Toguy said:
Hi,
On my 2 ST80 routes, there are shallow round holes towards the ends of the pickup routes and no ST80 but a #=# with a color code printed although, these are a 1980 and 1981. Were they different before 1980?
Thanks

Ah, I see what you mean. There was a discussion about those shallow round holes a few months back, as they seem to have changed half way through Goldstar production. I can't remember where the thread was though, & I don't have access to all my pics right now. My two 1980 Springys have the holes too.

I think Peter Mac (Tokai expert in Australia) was involved in the earlier discussion, perhaps he'll remember if he reads this? Or maybe someone else?

Back