Ebay: Ice Blue Goldie

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chipps

Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150190435718

Well, I like it... :)
Not seen a colour like that before on a Tokai, but I don't get out much...

Any of you/us lot then?

It's nice and a copy of the old Fender 60's custom Duco colour "Blue Ice metallic" I'm pretty sure they offered it from the mid 60's onwards. An Aussie member bought a similar one a few months ago.

Got the same colour Goldstar Sound, but with a maple neck, which to my eye looks even better against the blue/grey body. Lovely to play, too.

Bath eh, Plucker? That's where I moved to the Grim North from back in 2001. Are the guitar shops there any better there these days? :)

Name like Chipps, you'd have had to gone North, lad... It's all chickpeas and chorizo down here now - I have to head for the midlands to get a decent pork scratching these days. Sorry, guitar shops, did you say? The outrageously overpriced Vintage and Rare, pandering to the outrageously over-moneyed London refugees who know the price of everything and the value of nothing. Dick sun and plonker likewise but without the charm. Honorable mention in dispatches for Sounds International on Monmouth Street, who try very hard to compete on price, but are catering mostly for the bedroom and schools end of the market. Bath Music Centre recently closed, Assembly Music (Widcombe) went the same way years ago, maybe before you left. The choice is poor...

Ahh yes, Sounds International - I used to work in Monmouth St (for Future) and I did go there to buy a practice amp. That's probably about all I've ever bought in Bath, guitar-wise. As you say, there's not a great deal of choice.

I'll be down there over Christmas, so I'll pop in and see how much V&R reckon my Marshall Lead and Bass 50 combo is worth these days - last time I looked they had one for ?999 :)

Don't sell it to them though...!

It's an odd thing about Bath: it must have one of the highest densities of musicians per square mile of any populated area in the UK, and yet it is seemingly impossible to run a decent music shop here. The quality of the live music available on the street and in the few pubs that offer it is excellent, on top of which there are plenty of folk around who aren't performing but who can play well.

But who'd open a new music shop these days? It's like camera shops - you get loads of people coming in to try stuff out, and then they go off and snap up the cheapest deal on the internet.

Sorry, this is going off topic. Can the moderators open up a new area - 'the future of music retailing as we know it...'?

Ah, but if V&R didn't exist, you couldn't cheer yourself up on the Saturday morning after the night before by laughing at the silly prices.

Edit: I'm a northerner who ends up visiting Bath a couple of times a year (and getting quite, quite inebriated as you've possibly guessed). I'll let you know when I'm down next time and I'll bring down some pork scratchings for you.

Oldflame

No offence intended. Truth be known, I spent 18 years there myself before fetching up in Bath, so i certainly shouldn't be throwing stones... but there is a certain type, you know?!

AlanN

The Star? Bell? Few better places to sink a couple or eight, IMHO... and then rolling around on the pavement outside V&R. There's a battered strat in there for 19K at the moment (at least, that's what I think it said - I confess I didn't go in to check it out!). 'Course, this is all sour grapes, really. I sold a 1978 Fender Strat that I'd had from new and never got on with, for ?250 in about 1988. Similar ones in V&R go for about ?2K now. But it honestly wasn't a patch on my Goldie.

Mmm... the Star. What a fine pub. A friend of mine had a flat upstairs from it. Very dangerous. I'm going to have to have a night out in Bath when I'm near there this Christmas/New Year...

It's odd that Guitarist, Total Guitar etc are based in Bath, yet you wouldn't think it was a great place for it. But then Mountain Biking UK magazine is there too and it's rubbish for mountain biking in Bath too... :)

Latest posts

Back