Change of pups on TJ60

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petsy

Reaction score
Those of you who own TJ60's - do you have any experience in changing pickups and if so, what did you change TO and how did it affect the sound?
What are the stock pups like? Thinking of maybe buying one and if the pups can be improved upon, I might buy a Gibson or Duncan P90 and switch. Preferably a vintage 50's Gibson.

Hey Petsy,

Yep, the stock pickup isn't great. :)

I bought a Lollar and have been very happy with it - very inexpensive, too. I also added more windings to the stock Tokai pickup and it now sounds very good as well.

I don't think you could go wrong with a Duncan or even a new Gibson P90 for that matter.

Jim

Hey.
Thanks for replying. I had a hunch the stocks wouldn't be great. Well, it's easy to change so...

Btw, if one buys a pickup for the TJ guitar, a bridge pup would be the right one to buy, right? Cos they often label them as "neck" and "bridge". But the pup on the Junior is positioned far back so I'm guessing a bridge pup is the way to go...right?

That depends on the sound you want and on the design of the replacement pickup. Generally bridge versions are a bit hotter wound than neck versions, so maybe you like that sound in your specific guitar, but maybe not.

I went for a Bare Knuckle BKP 91. The stock pickup is a little underwound and lifeless. If you put something slightly hotter in it will give you a more authentic vintage Junior tone.

I noticed Duncan has an "Antiquity" P90 in both bridge and neck versions. That one looks really interesting too.

Antiquities sound really good,highly recommended! and not expensive.
Duncan P90-1 (vintage) are good too,neck specially and cheaper.....

Latest posts

Back