can someone explain this to me..

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoveRocksRule

Reaction score
hi, i was wondering if someone could please explain something to me...

i am looking into getting another love rock that being the new LS150 and i see on www.tokai-guitars.co.uk that it comes with the option of a AA carved maple top or a AAA flamed maple top can somebody please explain what all the "As" are about i have seen this on several different guitars specs like some gibsons have AAAAA maple tops.. i have never understood exactly what they are referring to.

i hope someone can clear this up for me.

thanks guys

from Dave

The A system refers to the prettiness of the flame/quilt figuring. More A's, prettier wood (more intense/dense figuring). There's no universal standard because beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Personally I think most AA stuff looks a bit naff, and anything above 4A (AAAA) is way OTT tacky.

Paladin2019 said:
The A system refers to the prettiness of the flame/quilt figuring. More A's, prettier wood (more intense/dense figuring). There's no universal standard because beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Personally I think most AA stuff looks a bit naff, and anything above 4A (AAAA) is way OTT tacky.

is that all there is to it??

i thought that it refered to the amount of carving the top had been given, i never thought that it was somthing as simple as what u have told me...

it just shows u what i know then!!!

the LS150 i am interested in comes with either AAA flamed maple or AA carved maple top... i recon the AAA is gonna be much nicer...

thanks for clearing that one up for me paladin..

Paladin2019 said:

i have seen some custom shop gibsons with 5A maple caps and i must agree with u when u say that they are OTT, i like the tops that the LS320s have,,, really nice subtle flametops and not exaggerated like the custom shop gibsons i mentioned....

thanks again paladin

I think the description AA carved or AAA flame is WRONG in the website...

Obviously... both tops are carved in an LP, and AAA flame is much better than AA not flame.

Latest posts

Back