Can Anyone please help with my Tokai Love

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domspector

Reaction score
I recently got this for a birthday present and would like to know exactly what it is.
I know it's a Tokai Love Rock, but would like to know,

What year
What model
What country Jap/Korean

I do know that the serial number is 0205648 and I think that the colour is violin blonde. Any other information about this guitar would be much appreciated, please see pics below.

thanks

bodytokai.jpg

breidge2tokai.jpg

headtokai.jpg

headtokai2.jpg

knobstokai.jpg

serialtokai.jpg

tokaibridge.jpg

tokaipickups.jpg

backtokai.jpg

With a UK 'dimple' headstock an 02 serial would suggests 2002 guitar.

2 screw truss rod cover, black plastic switch and control cavity covers on the back of the guitar indicate a Japanese manufactured model.

Photo's of the pickup bases and cavities would help idenify the exact model.

When the pickups are out of the cavities, check whether the guitar has nitro paint with nail varnish remover, acetone.

Nice guitar !

Thanks for the reply.
I will take the pickups out and take some more pics.

I am thinking of selling it , any idea of value.

Thanks again jvsearch and chrisheyes for the replies.

I would say your guitar is a LS65.

http://myguitarpage.narod.ru/tokai.htm

If it has long/deep tenon, it should be LS130 or what ever the number was at early 2000. You can check that also taking out the neck pickup.

Nice guitar indeed! That top is really beatiful.

You need to find out whether it is the low end made in Japan (MIJ) or higher end MIJ as the price difference is substantial. Others here can tell you how, not me.

Ok
I have taken the pickups out.
Under the neck pickup the number looks like 9UF or could be 9VF
under the bridge pickup the number looks like 9-30

I hope this helps getting the model.

thanks

Dom

Can we see a picture of what is inside the neck pickup cavity?

That will prove whether it is the higher model or not, by the presence (or absence) of a long tenon neck joint.

A one piece back is another good indicator, but it's very hard to see the joins sometimes, even when you have the guitar in hand!

You could also have a look in the control cavity to see what pots and caps are used. Today's LS-150/160 models have CTS pots and Sprague Orange Drop caps - not sure what they had in 2002 though.

looktoyourorb said:
Is there "made in japan" stamped at the back of the headstock?

No there isn't - see the pics.

There's no question about where it was made, just whether it is a entry or mid level Love Rock (definitely not a high end model).

LS65 it is then, I wonder how much this one could fetch on the bay. Not that I would bid as I already have a VF Love Rock. Looking for a black SG or LR (both MIJ) at the moment.

Nice guitar anyway, are you sure you want to sell it? You'd have to spend a lot of money to get something better than this.

looktoyourorb said:
LS65 it is then, I wonder how much this one could fetch on the bay. Not that I would bid as I already have a VF Love Rock. Looking for a black SG or LR (both MIJ) at the moment.

Nice guitar anyway, are you sure you want to sell it? You'd have to spend a lot of money to get something better than this.

Used Gibson studios seem to go for about half new price on fleabay. So maybe ?400 max? According to many people here and elsewhere, an LS65 beats most low end Gibsons. It's a nice looking one too.

I keep looking at the thread title and thinking, "man, there's someone who has it bad".

There's no helping me with my Tokai love :(

Ok
Anyone interested in buying this before I put it on ebay.
Make me an offer and its yours.

Thanks

Dom

PS
The guitar is mint and comes with a hard case.

Latest posts

Back