Can anyone help me identify this Love Rock?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Der

Reaction score
I'm thinking about selling my Tokai so I need to figure out exactly what it is first. It was sold to me new in 2009 as a Japanese Tokai however looking into this further it has the following serial number, which I think makes it a 2003 Japanese model. It does not have "Made in Japan" on the back of the headstock and it only has information relating to the finish under the pick-ups. It has a 2-piece quilited maple top and a 2-piece mahogany body, two srew truss rod and all the other tell tale signs opf a Japanese guitart. However the older than expected serial number and no "Made in Japan" have got me worried. Any ideas what model it is?

Sorry, forgot the serial number. It's 0305983. It look identical to the quilted LS95Q which is on ebay now.

15ybr6q.jpg

23t17ae.jpg

2qx2byd.jpg

2mdhq42.jpg

Hopefully this worked!

Der said:
I'm after something really special. Another Tokai of course.

It's easy for you to buy a top of the range Tokai.
Put a BIG bet on the All Blacks to win the World Cup and you'll have the money for the new Tokai. :D

THanks for the replies. This is the only picture I can get at the moment. Its of the neck pick-up and it looks like a square router has been used. Is that indicative of MIJ?
33vyvxj.jpg

Should I be worried that it doesn't say "Made in Japan" on the headstock? If it has an 03 serial number what model would it make this one LS85Q? LS75Q?

I don't know when Tokai started stamping 'made in Japan' on the back of the headstock. All I know is that my 90s models didn't have that.
The model would be LS85Q in 2003 I believe.

Yours is a genuine MIJ Tokai as were all LS-70 F and higher models in 2003.
The pearlized Tokai logo would be incredibly difficult to fake and still look as clean as yours does.

Inked MIJ headstock stamps weren't used until 2005, about the same time the LS75Q was re-designated LS85Q.

You might be right. I based my model designation on guys that bouoght one new in 2000, 2002 & 2003. They said they resp had a LS70Q, LS75Q & LS85Q.

Inked MIJ headstock stamps weren't used until 2005, about the same time the LS75Q was re-designated LS85Q.

Actually , they were used in 03 .
I`m lucky enough to have a "new" 2003 L75F-VF ...(its a long story).

It has an inked headstock so maybe they started in 03 ?

The plastic finally comes off soon .. :D

now I`ve decided not to sell her , and my left hand is almost recovered from losing an argument with a car door a few months ago. :x

Note the small hole in pic 5.... Japanese mice eh! :eek:

That hole is where I keep all of my talent and skill , quite roomy actually. :wink:

That's a nice Tokai :D

Anyone know what the numbers in the pick-up capvities refer to? That looks like #61. mine looks like #2.

I guess only Tokai UK(altered headstock) has Made in Japan in headstock,I have never seen any with that in Love Rocks made for domestic market.Maybe I?m wrong.

Latest posts

Back