Buying Tokai Japanese from overseas; models...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stone Free

Reaction score
Hey all, Stone Free here and i've been reading your posts for a while so i joined up today. I want to acquire a Tokai 'Love Rocks' Gold Top w/P90s. I believe the model is LS85S (GT), but if anyone knows different please let me know. Apolon Music has quoted me $780 w/shipping. I assume this is w/out a case. Fair price? Is this model the made for Japan market only? I've decided i don't want a Canadian model nor a European (fine as they both are). At the Ishibashi site i can not find Tokai, only Fernandes: am i missing something here?

Any help would be appreciated. I have read here that Apolon is fair and honest and that Ishibashi (a chain of stores, right?) is quite dependable.

Okay, another question re:the necks: slim, narrow, fat, baseball bat? My hands are not large so a 'baseball bat' size neck might be a drag. Any idea on how the necks are on this particular model (LS85S GT)?

Thank ya'll very much for reading this far! Look forward to many more posts here.

Stone Free said:
Apolon Music has quoted me $780 w/shipping. I assume this is w/out a case. Fair price? Is this model the made for Japan market only?
Yes, yes and yes. :)

Okay, another question re:the necks: slim, narrow, fat, baseball bat? My hands are not large so a 'baseball bat' size neck might be a drag. Any idea on how the necks are on this particular model (LS85S GT)?
Not the baseball bat size of Gibson R6 or R4 Historics, but not slim either, so '58 profile is a good guess.

Yup, the general consensus is that most Love Rock's have a profile roughly modelled on a '58.

Best way to describe/compare it to the Gibson necks is to say it's a kind of cross between a fat '59 and a slim taper '60.

Saying that, I briefly owned a 2001 LS70F Love Rock that had a decidedly '59-esque fat profile, nothing like my '99 LS70's neck which is what I was expecting, although it was a really nice neck to play. Had to sell it though as I needed the money... :(

Hey all you axe victims,

Thanks for the replies and the info: helps a lot! Yeah i've got a serious jones for one of these axes and just can't seem to wait to get one! hahaha... As is done here, i'll post pics when/if i ever go through with a purchase.

By the way, this is one of the friendliest forums with which i have been associated. Very cool, indeed! :D

Back