Burny Custom - How many body pieces? What kind of pots?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bumblebee

Reaction score
Hello!

I have a Burny RLC-60 Custom all mahogany.
I can't find any seam on the top or on the back of the guitar.
It has a very thin poly finish, so you can clearly see the wood structure.
When I looked in the pup cavity and in the electronics compartment, I noticed a seam dividing top and back in two pieces.
Could it really be that it's a sandwiched body, so only 2 pieces???
I thought that's unusual for a RLC-60.
The guitar is Fujigen made.

Does anybody know more about it???

The next question is what kind of post do I need. I want to change the cheap pots for CTS pots. Which diameter and shaft length do I need???

If anyone knows this information please let me know.

Thanks

DSC00967.jpg

Bumblebee said:
Hello!

When I looked in the pup cavity and in the electronics compartment, I noticed a seam dividing top and back in two pieces.

Does anybody know more about it???

The next question is what kind of post do I need. I want to change the cheap pots for CTS pots. Which diameter and shaft length do I need???

If anyone knows this information please let me know.

Thanks

DSC00967.jpg

I'm in the middle of upgrading pots on my RLC-65. I got standard CTS 500K's and the first thing to understand is that you will need to widen the shaft holes (I think this applies to any MIJ LP when swapping to CTS). The safest way is to use a round pencil file. Use circular, downward (top to back) strokes to slightly widen the holes.
Then came the surprise... you just BARELY need long shaft pots, as there is just not quite enough thread revealed with the standard shafts. I'm waiting delivery on my long shafts as we speak. Get two extra nuts per pot as you will need stand them off inside the control cavity so they are not too long. Get new knobs while you are at it, unless you feel like routing out the originals.

Pancake body? No way.

Bumblebee said:
Hello!

from my experience with several Burny RLC models, I have never seen one with a 'sandwich' type body, altho' I suppose it's possible; just never seen one with my eyes :)
This includes both the earlier models with the correct diamond head stock inlays & the later 'lightning bolt' head stock inlays.

All of the black finished ones I have had thru' my hands are all mahogany examples; the carved tops & the body backs are two different pieces (usually constructed from more than one piece of lumber) and the top piece & the body back piece are glued together as any Les Paul.

I have seen the black all maho models with two & three piece tops, and two & three piece backs.

Here's a link to a later RLC 'lightning bolt' type
http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9611
It had a 3 piece body back, 2 piece/center seam plain maple top, and a quarter sawn mahogany neck 8)
You can see in this photo there is no sandwich in the maho body :)
RLCendgrain-1.jpg

Here's a very nice 3 pup RLC 8)
RLC1-1.jpg

If your RLC is really a sandwich type body, then it probably is tastier :p :wink: ...............

this is my only remaining RLC; has a two piece top & three piece back, 100% mahogany, and NO sandwich :) .........
BurnyRLC22-1.jpg

nice Burny case & key w/lock that still works :D
BurnyRLC24.jpg

My RLC 60 has a 2 pieces back, the seam is visible
But I can't see any seam on the mahogany front
Use Alpha pots, no need for CTS

Latest posts

Back