Budget GC score! (MIJ Memphis content)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lubliner

Reaction score
Hey everyone, this is my first post!

I stopped into GC yesterday afternoon to see if they got anything new in. I was greeted by the same 'ol familiar stuff. I was about to walk away from the used section when I saw the edge of a really nice looking LP style guitar peeking from behind an old Fender Super Reverb. I picked it up and it was a Memphis LP copy with a set neck. Action was sweet, frets were in great condition so I gave it a go. The output jack was hanging on by 2 screws and was cutting in and out but I managed to hold it in a position to hear that the guitar, even with its rusty strings, had a great tone! I haggled with the salesman a tad and he dropped the price to $50 + tax, paid for it with a GC gift card I got on Xmas and still had $46.50 left on the card!

I brought it home, tore the old strings off and popped the pups out to see what they are. They're ink stamped "Patent Applied For, Made By Goto" and sound friggin' outstanding. Both pickups on are incredibly chimey. The bridge looks original and is stamped Japan, so I'm assuming the guitar was made MIJ. There's no serial # on it so I don't really think I can date it. I cleaned the FB, lemon oiled it and wipes the body down. Its pretty but has a definite relic'ed look to it. The finish looks like it wants to start checking, too. The neck is super comfortable and very '59'ish in shape.

The stock tuners are garbage and the guitar has a slight buzz when plugged in and the buzz goes away when I touch the 3-way switch, so I'm guessing there's a ground problem somewhere. I've already ordered new Sperzel-type tuners, new pickup rings and a Les Paul electrical upgrade kit from GFS. All together, I'll be into this guitar for $120.

Here's some crappy pictures, I'll get better ones when I can:

CIMG5443.jpg

CIMG5439.jpg

CIMG5445.jpg

CIMG5431.jpg

CIMG5432.jpg

Next to my 2009 Gibson Les Paul Standard Traditional Pro

CIMG5438.jpg

Back