Bacchus BST 64

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brock, looks like a BTT-69 to me too, which came with a vintage style bridge w/3 brass saddles; some folks like to change those out to the 6 saddle :( ....

catalog only list 3TS (3 color burst) & NA (natural) for finish colors; yours looks like ABD (antique blonde) :)

Maybe this is all just a huge misunderstanding - easy enough when we only communicate via Internet forum postings... :-?
The pictures you posted clarified a lot about the look of the two different pickups and I'm sure we all got that.
Somehow we also got the impression that you wanted us to read some information between the lines... but maybe it was never so?

/Magnus

MIJvintage said:
So, after posting all of the photos I posted & all of the explanations, it really didn't help anyone here to differentiate between an Alnico Special set up & a Yuta set up? cool ............

I thought you explained it very well. I think I can figure out pretty easily through your pictures if I have Yuta's or Bacchus pick-ups. I am still interested in how they measure over against each other though for, as I think I have told you before, I always though my SRV's Pickups "sounded" hotter that the bst-62, which would go against the conventional wisdom regarding the comparison. Of course, it could be that they wound the SRV's hotter too, just because it is a SRV. Hmm. One of these days I will get around to measuring em. First I got to play that Tele though. :)

MIJvintage said:
So, after posting all of the photos I posted & all of the explanations, it really didn't help anyone here to differentiate between an Alnico Special set up & a Yuta set up? cool ............

Sorry if I'm sounding stupid but where I got confused is that I've read on this forum that the Alnico Special's were not as hot as the later Yuta's, but Mikes pickups, which you think are Alnico Special's are very hot indeed.

You also said earlier that the Alnico Special's normally came with Forest-Green caps, where's this tree obsession come from :wink:

btmish, Give me a half price guitar with a bit of nitro damage every time!! I used to chase after mint guitars, but then be too scared to play them! If you can pick up a great guitar for a knock-down price because it's less than cosmetically perfect then, in my book, that's ideal!!

JohnA said:
MIJvintage said:

Sorry if I'm sounding stupid but where I got confused is that I've read on this forum that the Alnico Special's were not as hot as the later Yuta's, but Mikes pickups, which you think are Alnico Special's are very hot indeed.

You also said earlier that the Alnico Special's normally came with Forest-Green caps, where's this tree obsession come from :wink:

So, someone posts a few nice pics & an explanation concerning what you ask about, and you allow some previous post concerning pickup output to steer you away from what's staring you in the face, LOL ...............

btmish said:
MIJvintage said:

I thought you explained it very well. I think I can figure out pretty easily through your pictures if I have Yuta's or Bacchus pick-ups. I am still interested in how they measure over against each other though for, as I think I have told you before, I always though my SRV's Pickups "sounded" hotter that the bst-62, which would go against the conventional wisdom regarding the comparison. Of course, it could be that they wound the SRV's hotter too, just because it is a SRV. Hmm. One of these days I will get around to measuring em. First I got to play that Tele though. :)

brock, seriously here; I could give a rat's a** less about pickup output/readings/ohms/whatever because when it comes down to it, even the same model pickups will be different from time to time.

I have never bothered to measure pickups, ever, and I probably never will; my ears tell me what I like, not some **** meter ...........

MIJvintage said:
I have never bothered to measure pickups, ever, and I probably never will; my ears tell me what I like, not some **** meter ...........

But you weigh every guitar?

:eek:

stratman323 said:
MIJvintage said:

LOL Mike, yes, I do; and not just Les Pauls, Strats too :eek: ......................... my ears don't have built in scales :wink: ..............

MIJvintage said:
So, someone posts a few nice pics & an explanation concerning what you ask about, and you allow some previous post concerning pickup output to steer you away from what's staring you in the face, LOL ...............

It wasn't 'some earlier post' on page 4 of this thread Thorstur posted....
My Bacchus BST-62 came with the newer/hotter Texas Special sounding pickups....

So Thorstur says Newer hotter, If Mike's are Bacchus, this tells me older hotter.

Saying "my ears tell me what I like, not some **** meter" is not very helpful unless I can borrow your ears!

Could you possibly answer a straight question?

Generally, would you say the Newer Yuta's are hotter than the Older Bacchus pickups?

MIJvintage said:
stratman323 said:
MIJvintage said:

LOL Mike, yes, I do; and not just Les Pauls, Strats too :eek: ......................... my ears don't have built in scales :wink: ..............

Wow your ears have a built in muti-meter? cool!! :wink:

I'm pretty sure I could guess the weight of a guitar by holding it, with a lot more accuracy than I can tell a pickups resistance by listening too it. People asking these questions are genuinly interested in finding out more about these guitars, and quantfiying things is often the only way to accurately convey a message.

If I said I have a light-weight Les Paul for sale and sold you it, you put it on the scale and it comes out at 10 1/2 lbs, maybe every other LP I've owned been 11 lbs, it's all relative. So isn't measuring a pickup is just as valid as weighing a guitar?

JohnA said:
Wow your ears have a built in muti-meter? cool!! :wink:

I'm pretty sure I could guess the weight of a guitar by holding it, with a lot more accuracy than I can tell a pickups resistance by listening too it. People asking these questions are genuinly interested in finding out more about these guitars, and quantfiying things is often the only way to accurately convey a message.

If I said I have a light-weight Les Paul for sale and sold you it, you put it on the scale and it comes out at 10 1/2 lbs, maybe every other LP I've owned been 11 lbs, it's all relative. So isn't measuring a pickup is just as valid as weighing a guitar?

We both have valid points.

I just happen to like to know what any given guitar that I own weighs, within an error of +/- 2 oz.
I weigh all of my guitars on a digital scale, and that allows me to know what it weighs, and this ultimately allows the next owner to know what they are buying weighs.
It not only benefits me, it benefits the next guy too.

If you like knowing what the resistance of your pickups are, great, that's all good ...........

I will leave you with this one observation:
Of all the guitars I have ever sold, I have had many people ask me what a guitar weighs, yet I have never had a single buyer ask me what the resistance, output, ohms, whatever, of any pickup of any guitar I have ever sold, was.

How many eBay adds for guitars do you see with weights and/or weight ranges listed? A ton .........

How many eBay adds for guitars do you see with pickup resistance listed?

Go find a meter & knock yourself silly ................................

MIJvintage said:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dirty-Dog-Pups-pickup-Humbucker-Gibson-50s-PAF-Tone_W0QQitemZ160189916574QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item160189916574&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-100-original-1959-Gibson-PAFs-w-covers-PAF_W0QQitemZ300268318579QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item300268318579&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Japanese-vintage-Greco-Z-dry-pickups_W0QQitemZ150304492388QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item150304492388&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

The whole point here is three prople on this thread are asking for this information, surely it would be easier to just give it rather than making smart arsed comments.
No-one's trying to start an argument here, just asking simple questions.

I would find a meter and 'knock myself silly' but I don't have two sets of pickups, one I'm sure are Bacchus and one Yuta.

JohnA said:
MIJvintage said:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dirty-Dog-Pups-pickup-Humbucker-Gibson-50s-PAF-Tone_W0QQitemZ160189916574QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item160189916574&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-100-original-1959-Gibson-PAFs-w-covers-PAF_W0QQitemZ300268318579QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item300268318579&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Japanese-vintage-Greco-Z-dry-pickups_W0QQitemZ150304492388QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item150304492388&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

The whole point here is three prople on this thread are asking for this information, surely it would be easier to just give it rather than making smart arsed comments.
No-one's trying to start an argument here, just asking simple questions.

I would find a meter and 'knock myself silly' but I don't have two sets of pickups, one I'm sure are Bacchus and one Yuta.

LOL, those are pickups, not guitars, and of course if a seller is selling a pickup, instead of a guitar, it is likely that resistance would be included as an attribute of the pickup; just as weight would be included as an attribute for a guitar, by a (competant) seller

My question was, "How many eBay adds for guitars do you see with weights and/or weight ranges listed?"
Guess you didn't get that.

Like I stated, we both have valid points ..........

I also made a contribution to the thread that should leave little, if any doubt, as to what pickup sets you have in your Bacchus Strats.
You seem a bit ungrateful for that too, thanks ..............

Mij

The ads are for pickups, and pickups are what we're talking about here, not guitars. I'm not being ungrateful, I have asked a simple question.

"would you say the Newer Yuta's are hotter than the Older Bacchus pickups?"

I really don't understand your attitude, If you don't know, can't be bothered, don't have a multimeter, or any other reason then just say so, if your ears can accurately differentiate between 2 set's of pickups, just tell me what your ears tell you.

I'm asking because I'm interested

JohnA said:
... I have asked a simple question.
Probably, you'll not get an answer from him. He also didn't answer on forum member Nani's several inquiries...
Nani said:
"So why didn't you post your pictures in the Greco section then?"

togps said:
JohnA said:
Probably, you'll not get an answer from him. He also didn't answer on forum member Nani's several inquiries...
Nani said:

I have noticed he sometimes seems to get out of the wrong side of the bed :wink:

I bought some scales a few weeks ago, as I was intrigued to see what all the fuss is about. Although the results from weighing my guitars was initially interesting, it actually told me nothing relevant. My 2 current favourite Strats are my 1983 Fender & my 1980 Springy ST80. The Fender is my heaviest Strat (8lb 8oz, for the few people who care), & the ST80 is my lightest (7lb 4oz). The weights tell me nothing about how good the guitars are.

In contrast, pickup resistance readings tell me a fair amount about how a pickup will perform. It was no surprise to find readings of around 5.5 to 5.7k from the E pickups - they sounded weak and thin.

However, the Bacchus pickups sounded fat and powerful, & the readings confirmed that. 7.4k is almost unheard of for a vintage type Strat pickup - but I like it. I initially wanted another set of the same pickups, hence the questions from me and John. For some reason MIJ would sooner make obscure comments about forests, and hint that we can find the information that we want by reading between the lines of his posts - most people would just give a straight answer to a straight question!

Anyway, I'm so fed up with the way this thread of mine has descended into acrimony - there was really no reason for this to happen. MIJ doesn't want to disclose the secrets of his pickups - well that's fine with me. :roll: I've given up on the idea of buying another set after all this nonsense.

I have pulled an old (1980s) set of Duncans out of the drawer, and fitted them to the white Goldie. Older pickups do seem to improve with age, and these three have quite high readings too. After trying the Goldie at rehearsal last night, it seems to have done the trick. It doesn't sound quite as big and fat as the Bacchus, but the neck isn't as big and fat either! The Goldie was much nicer to play, purely because of the slimmer neck.

So, yes the Bacchus is great value, & a high quality instrument. But it looks as though it's unlikely to get taken out to gigs as the neck is too big for me. So, you're more likely to see me playing a Goldie than a Bacchus. Well done Tokai!

8)

JohnA said:
togps said:
JohnA said:
Nani said:

I have noticed he sometimes seems to get out of the wrong side of the bed :wink:

haha, lol, :lol: ................... that's a good one :lol: ..................

stratman323 said:
Anyway, I'm so fed up with the way this thread of mine has descended into acrimony - there was really no reason for this to happen. MIJ doesn't want to disclose the secrets of his pickups - well that's fine with me. :roll: I've given up on the idea of buying another set after all this nonsense.

Mike, here is my original post in the thread.
"AFA the pups are concerned, yes, it's all about individual taste; I have played both the earlier Alnico SP models (flat pole tops) & the later YUTAs (beveled poles) and I much prefer the Alnico SPs.

hope you enjoy your Bacchus ...................."

So, I have no secret, I like the Alnico Specials & the Yutas suck, IMO .............. but again, pickups are a subjective item ..........

Back