are edwards LP's chambered or not. which models

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMO the only way to get a totally made Japanese guitar would be to not buy anything after 1985.
Outsourcing was used by FujiGen in 1986 by getting Fender Japan necks made by Atlansia in Japan.

http://www.daeschler.com/articles/fujigen/
http://www.atlansia.jp/

And then there is a guy who worked for Epiphone who says Terada had some Korean factory making stuff for them with Terada cnc machines shiped to Korea in 1989 and I've also heard that FujiGen did the same thing. http://www.banjohangout.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=68668

"Scott will know more about the details, but I know that at least one Japanese fretted instrument factory sent some of its tooling to Korea when Japanese labor got too expensive for making budget instruments. I saw that happening when I was over there in '89 at the Terada factory. They were packing things to ship up to Korea, and there were a number of Korean factories where Japanese were really running the show. Samick was not one of those, though.

Rick Turner"

So at least some of the Terada made G serial Orville by Gibsons appear to have had their parts routed out by Terada owned cnc machines in Korea and then shipped back to Terada in Japan for assembly and finishing.

If you are running a guitar factory and you can get the guitar parts made by the same cnc machines in a country where labour is cheaper then why not do it.
What's it matter if the parts are routed out on a cnc machine in Korea or China and then assembled and finished in Japan, they would still be mostly MIJ .
If the guitars are getting assembled and finished in Korea and China then they would be MIK, MIC.

One of the things that points to where a guitar is finally assembled and finished is the pots.
Seeing that the pots are hidden from buying customers the factories just use the pots that are locally available.
Exporting pots from Japan to Korea or China is just a waste of money for the guitar companies when they are available locally in Korea or China.
The visual parts like tuners and bridges were exported from Japan to Korea.

For instance the Korean Cort made Grecos using Korean Cor-Tek pots and Japanese made tuners and bridges.
If a guitar has MIJ pots then it would point to assembly and finishing in Japan.
The K Orvilles are like this with a lot of them especially around 1992 having Made in Japan stamped pots.

Finishing a guitar in Korea or China and then sending it back to Japan to have the pots, tuners, bridges and pickups installed by Japanese labour makes no sense money wise, you may as well have had the pots, tuners, bridges and pickups installed in Korea or China like the Korean Cort Grecos did but using parts made in Korea or China and then finishing and installing the pots etc in Japan makes sense because they saved money by having the parts made in Korea or China and the guitar is still basically MIJ with just the finishing and assembly done in Japan.

Also shipping parts from Korea to Japan is much easier and cheaper then shipping finished guitars from Korea to Japan unless they had them made very cheaply in Korea as with the Cort made Grecos and they would have Korean pots.
Another thing is the way the decals are applied.
The decals are positioned by hand and there can be variations in positioning from factory to factory especially for a model with a lot of decals like the LP customs.
The Terada Orville by Gibson decals are positioned differently to the FujiGen Orville by Gibson decals and if the K Orvilles were finished in Korea then another decal variation would be expected but if you look at a Orville by Gibson G serial and a K Orville LP custom the decal positioning is the same, which means both of them are being finished in the same factory.

If you look at the necks and headstocks and bodies shapes of the Terada G serial Orville by Gibson LP's and SG's and the K Orville LP's and SG's they are the same, which means they were routed out by Terada owned cnc machines using the same programming coordinates in either Korea or Japan.
I think Terada used their cnc machines in Korea to route most of the Orville by Gibsons and K Orville parts and only used their cnc machines in Japan for the top of the line Orville by Gibsons.

Also there is the selling price which can point to parts coming from Korea or China.
In the case of the Terada K Orvilles, the price of the basic LP's and SG's and LPJ's was roughly the same as the ink stamped FujiGen Orvilles so I would expect that both Terada and FujiGen used Korean made parts because if Terada was doing it for the K Orville selling prices then FujiGen would also have to do it for the ink stamped Orvilles or else FujiGen would make very little profit on the Orvilles.

If the Edwards are being sold at a pretty cheap price then I would expect the parts to come from Korea or China because that's the whole point of outsourcing, to sell at a lower price.

Thanks to all for the interesting information. I just purchased an '88 G-numbered Orville by Gibson SG '62 Reissue. In the end, I don't care "who" built or assembled it. I do appreciate the results.

I recently sold an Eastman John Pisano archtop, MIC, that was as close to perfect as anyone could do. MIC! Wonderful stuff.

Thanks, Joe

f5joe said:
I recently sold an Eastman John Pisano archtop, MIC, that was as close to perfect as anyone could do. MIC! Wonderful stuff.

Thanks, Joe

Bandmate of mine has an Eastman John Pisano - Absolutely gorgeous guitar and just sounds heavenly. Not a thing wrong with it. No gaps, finish problems, etc at all. Also came with a black glossy, hardshell molded case. Granted there is alot of crap that comes out of China but this guitar is top shelf.

Hi all, i don't think that having the bodies outsourced for routing would make any difference to the quality at all, these machines are programed to a set of numbers and produce very uniformed results, as long as they are using good quality materials the guitars will be identical regardless of where they are routed. It only makes sense that guitars like Edwards would be doing this, it is the only way they can keep the prices so low.

Mick

8) when i called up ESP tokyo and osaka both the other day i talked with
3 guys total. they all sounded young metal dudes who dont know much about guitars and also how to talk. to get their answers right, i had to talk to them like i do to children or something. i finally got some answers that EDWARDS are made in china but assembled all in japan. they the ESP dudes sounded they didnt wanna tell me too loud that EDWARDS are not totally made in japan cause you know that sometimes "made in china" doesnt sound good to us in these days right? they didnt say it clearly so i had to ask them very clearly. i personally believe EDWARDS are made in china but all assembled in japan. this way their quality and price both make sense. very good guitars they are, really..............

you know man, when we talk about how accurate guitar salesman dudes and ESP...........we should never be any serious and expect any accurate answers from them..........i thought this is a common sense..........
a lot of guitar shop dudes are just guitar dudes who dont know anything basically. about guitars and life and world and how to talk and...........
they are mostly just part time workers who are still too young or dont last
long or. just guitar dudes who are working there cause they like guitars.
in japan, in usa, this is a common sense i thought. dont expect nothing extra from the guitar salesmen at guitar center or ishibashi or.......cause they dont know anything deeper than just regular infos........so when we really seriously want any info then we should ask to the company instead.
not to those guitar dude at the store. ESP is a big company but they are really made up with rock n roll long hair metal dudes. this is true. most of their stores in tokyo have metal dudes only and see their guitars besides
navigator and edwards, all metal stuff. check ESP USA website, the first thing you hear is a super loud metal sound.........see what kind of company they are now? they are famous big company who is making good guitars but they have always been unadult, immature long hair metal dude
company. so what can we expect to them more than who they are really?
this is a common sense here in japan. ESP is a metal dude & gtrs company..........but EDWARDS are really great, no doubt !!!!!!!!!!! 8)

http://www.espguitars.com/

http://www.espguitars.com/

8) hey guys, check this out and hear it w/ no choice !!!!!!!!!!!

only ESP does, nobody else i guess............j :eek:

TOKAI JOE said:
a lot of guitar shop dudes are just guitar dudes who dont know anything basically. about guitars and life and world and how to talk and...........

How very true! :(

With regard to ESP, yes they are a heavy metal company now, but don't forget that the 400 Series Strat copies were very good, authentic, vintage copies, if you can get hold of one secondhand. Probably a bit better that a Goldstar, I would say.

Mike

to all experts,
PLEASE show us some serious evidence before posting these secondhand talks/informations/gossips ..
it's just stupid thing to do and that's why/when all this bullsh. begun to grow/walk! SO PLEASE show some serious evidence first ...

THANKS! LOL

btw. personally i don't mind if it's MIJ or MIK ... eddies are great guitars anyway! 8)

Tokai Joe put it well.

I'd just like to add that there are a few ways Japanese guitar companies like Kanda Shokai, Yamano or ESP seem to do things.

Like entering into a contract with a Korean or Chinese guitar making company directly to totally make the guitars in Korea or China like the Chinese made Burnys, made in China by Yako of Taiwan and the Korean made Cor-Tek (Cort) Grecos.

Or entering into a contract with a Japanese guitar making company and the part making is subcontracted out by the Japanese guitar making company to Korean or Chinese guitar factories like Terada and FujiGen seemed to have done with the mid/low priced Orville by Gibsons and Orvilles.

Or entering into a contract with a Korean or Chinese factory directly to supply parts like the Edwards seem to be.

Or entering into a contract with a Japanese guitar making company and there is no subcontracting or outsourcing going on like the older mid 80s and before Japanese made guitars of all price ranges and the higher priced Japanese made guitars from the mid 80s onward.

Jinx said:
to all experts,
PLEASE show us some serious evidence before posting these secondhand talks/informations/gossips ....
it's just stupid thing to do and that's why/when all this bullsh. begun to grow/walk! SO PLEASE show some serious evidence first ...

THANKS! LOL

btw. personally i don't mind if it's MIJ or MIK ... eddies are great guitars anyway! 8)

WTF?? The purpose of this forum is to share what we know, what we've heard or seen in an effort to unearth some "serious evidence".

Chill bro and save your narrow minded comments for some other forum. "LOL"

marcusnieman said:
WTF?? The purpose of this forum is to share what we know, what we've heard or seen in an effort to unearth some "serious evidence".

well, for the moment we heard a lot, seen nothing and there's not much evidences... :-? Remember me the rumors about fujigen factory closing, the gibson made in china etc...

HI all, Jinx if you have nothing intelligent to add then add nothing.. :eek: . I spend a lot of time talking to my Japanese friends and wouldn't post anything i thought was "********". I also don't particularly care if you believe it or not. The people i spoke too were nervous about saying anything because they know they are taking advantage of japanese law that states that if the product is put together in Japan it is Made In Japan. Obviously at the moment it is advantageous to have MIJ on there product because MIJ is the flavour of the month and they want to take advantage of that. You only have to look at similar guitars with similar specs coming out of japan to realize that for some reason the Edwards guitars are quite a bit cheaper. As far as evidence, this is a Japanese company we are talking about here, everything inside the company is jealously guarded. One of the guys i talk too was severely "scolded" as he put it because of something that i said on this forum that was read by someone from Tokai. So there are a number of reasons why it is bloody hard to get "physical evidence" about these claims. Eventually i'm sure this will become common knowledge. 8)

Cheers Mick

Thinking universally for a moment:

It seems that we'll eventually get to a term like "AIJ" or "AIC", reflecting "assembled" in a certain country. With all of the globilization of components, we're almost there.

Again, as long as the product is good, I don't care where it was ..... made or assembled.

Side note: There are some fantastic MIC banjos being "made" now. These particular banjos have USA hardwoods, Czech metal parts, Chinese labor/manufacturing/assembly. I'd be proud to own one of those banjos.

8) i heard this before from some famous american guitar builder talking.....

he said that if the product is made more than 60% in one country then

they can call it "made in XXXX"...........no need to be 100% all made but

at least more than 60%...........for example, you know fender usa highway 1

series guitars. their body and neck are basically made in usa but they are

finished and assembled, all the rest in mexico.........this looks like almost

made in mexico but they still call it made in usa cause the body and neck

parts are more than 60% of the guitar.........kinda a BS huh.........joe,

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I still can't work out why the Mexican Fenders seem to be noticeably lower in quality that the US models. Logically, they should be the same, as many of the parts are interchangeable. But they just don't seem to have "it", from the ones I've tried.

Strange. :eek:

stratman323 said:
I still can't work out why the Mexican Fenders seem to be noticeably lower in quality that the US models. Logically, they should be the same, as many of the parts are interchangeable. But they just don't seem to have "it", from the ones I've tried.

Strange. :eek:

crappy mexican pickups perhaps? keep in mind also, the best wood goes to the MIA fenders

tudor said:
peacock72 said:
Anyone happen to get any pics? I have to say I'm still skeptical.

Next week ... or in the first week of the new year ...
They said the XRays will not work because they are not determined to make pics of wood ... but I don't believe that ...
I'll take my Gibbo and the Eddie with me ...

So - be a little patient ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi guys (... and girls :oops: ),

Bad News ...

Yesterday I went to the veterinary surgeon who had agreed to make some XRays of my Eddie and my Gibbo ...
He was very embarrassed watching me with my two guitar cases in my hands and ... declined to take the shots ...
At first he tried to argue that the wooden parts might not to be seen, but when I told him that he just had to boost the radiation dose he admitted that he couldn't explain the purpose of the higher dose to the surveillance authorities while their annual control ...
At the latest in this moment I knew that he was in a blue funk ...

What should I have done ... he was the Master of the Instrument - not me ... :(

Now we're as sneaky as before ... Sorry for making you hopefully ... I don't know if you can imagine how much disappointed I am now ... :( :( :oops: :oops: :oops:

Roger

that's ok mate. it's not your fault. you did try afterall, and i for one, am grateful. thanks :) hopefully someone will be able to get an Edwards X-Ray'd one day...

Back