Allan Holdsworth, Boom Boom Club (Sutton, UK), 06-06-2010

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mole Man

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Quick heads-up, I'll be there for sure!!

Some of you will already know that Allan is also playing at Ronnie Scott's this Friday and Saturday for a 75 minute or so set for expensive money (I'm going on the Saturday, 1st house), suggest that you see him at Sutton instead for a much longer set for ?12 prebook (?15 door). This gig was only announced yesterday and will sell out for sure (Boom Boom Club is only 300 capacity or so). This is a major coup for the promoter Pete Feenstra!

"Devil Take The Hindmost"!!

Best regards,
Darren

WORLD CLASS GUITARIST ALERT: ALLAN HOLDSWORTH
Musician Magazine placed ALLAN HOLDSWORTH near the top of their ?100 greatest guitarists of all time
http://www.facebook.com/l/0b81b;www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMi2mCe7CKg&feature=related
The Californian based, UK guitar genius Allan Holdsworth (Jean Luc Ponty/Bill Bruford/Gong/Soft Machine/Eddie Van Halen/UK/Jack Bruce/Stanley Clarke) is an inductee of Guitar Player Magazine's Hall of Fame

http://www.feenstra.co.uk/

The BoomBoom Club
Sutton United Football Club
The Borough Sports Ground
Gander Green Lane
Sutton, Surrey SM1 2EY

12 pounds?!?? That's a hell of a deal for someone of the calibre of Holdsworth.

I saw him a few years ago at the Jazz Cafe in Camden, horrible venue. When you're seeing someone like Holdsworth, you want to be comfortably seated so that you can take it all in, not crammed in like sardines in a Metallica moshpit.

youami said:
12 pounds?!?? That's a hell of a deal for someone of the calibre of Holdsworth.

I saw him a few years ago at the Jazz Cafe in Camden, horrible venue. When you're seeing someone like Holdsworth, you want to be comfortably seated so that you can take it all in, not crammed in like sardines in a Metallica moshpit.

I too was there for that gig at the Jazz Cafe, I agree entirely!

Here is the full list of Allan's British Tour dates:

ALLAN HOLDSWORTH BAND BRITISH TOUR

ALLAN HOLDSWORTH guitar
JIMMY JOHNSON bass guitar
GARY HUSBAND drums

June 3, 2010 - Hastings, England
Venue: White Rock Theatre
www.whiterocktheatre.org.uk

June 4, 2010 - London, England
Venue: Ronnie Scott's
www.ronniescotts.co.uk

June 5, 2010 - London, England
Venue: Ronnie Scott's
www.ronniescotts.co.uk

June 6, 2010 - Sutton, England
Venue: The Boom Boom Club/Sutton Utd FC
www.feenstra.co.uk

June 7, 2010 - Cardiff, Wales
Venue: The Globe
www.theglobecardiff.com

June 8, 2010 - Milton Keynes, England
Venue: The Stables
www.stables.org

June 9, 2010 - Bilston (Wolverhampton), England
Venue: Robin 2
www.therobin.co.uk

June 10, 2010 - Manchester, England
Venue: Band On The Wall/ Inner City Music
www.bandonthewall.org

June 11, 2010 - Glasgow, Scotland
Venue: The Ferry
www.the-ferry.co.uk

http://www.therealallanholdsworth.com/allanlive.htm

youami said:
I saw him a few years ago at the Jazz Cafe in Camden, horrible venue.

Great venue. I saw Chuck Berry there last year. I'm not old enough yet that I need to sit down at gigs to enjoy them. :wink:

stratman323 said:
youami said:

Great venue. I saw Chuck Berry there last year. I'm not old enough yet that I need to sit down at gigs to enjoy them. :wink:

You got me there. I went to a few other gigs at the Jazz Cafe when I lived in London, eg Robert Cray and Mike Stern (probably a few others that I can't remember). Every time I was there I would try to arrive early and get as near to the front as possible. I'm quite tall (6 foot 4), so I always had some muppet suggesting that I should stand near the back because the people behind me couldn't see. I paid the same money for my ticket as everyone else, so bad luck, was my response. I never had that problem at any other venue.

Anyway, Chuck Berry is Rock n Roll... = standing. Holdsworth = sitting would be my preference.

stratman323 said:
youami said:

Me neither! How you can say that the Jazz Cafe is a "great venue" is beyond me? I well remember seeing Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash there a couple of years ago, door price was ?25 (for a band that prior to that show I had seen many times and never paid more than ?12). Draught Guinness was eye wateringly expensive at ?4 per pint and to cap it all at the end of the evening the doorman practically started on me (i.e. got verbally aggressive and "in my face") - my crime, misplacing my cloakroom ticket!! Over the years I've seen a fair few gigs there and somehow never managed to have a great time for some reason...

Verdict: a horrible, atmosphere-free, pretentious, overpriced, tourist-trap venue!!

The Bull's Head (Barnes, London), Boom Boom Club (Sutton, Surrey) and the 100 Club (Oxford Street, London) sh8t all over the Jazz Cafe, IMHO. I also expect a seat when I'm being asked to pay theatre gig prices to see a band in a club venue (no matter who the artiste is).

Blimey - I really hope that Ronnie Scott's this Saturday isn't the same experience as the Jazz Cafe...

Oh well, I like the Jazz Cafe! The 100 Club is cool as long as you can avoid those awful pllars which screw up the view from so many angles.

Unfortunately im not gonna be able to see the great man play this year :eek:(
Im picking my dad up after his operation. Which although id love to catch him, need to be with my dad.

Ive seen him for play three times so far though.
1) the southbank gig with pasqua and co, not that great a gig. The Q&A session was a bit of a letdown really, couldnt hear quite what he was saying, bad pa.
2) Swindon, mindblowing gig. His comping skills were mind boggling. And he signed my Gibson SG after the gig. Even said "Oh and SG, nice guitar" that was surreal. I was a very happy camper driving home afterwards.
3) A small place in southern wales, again had chance to chat to him afterwards and gave him three bottles of Timothy Taylors which perked him up (to say thanks for signing my guitar).

Im still amazed as to how down to earth and humble the guy is. I know he hates gushing fans etc. But for me it's slightly out of body, to be able to chat to him at a bar. I know he's only human and all that, but you know what i mean. Imagine having that opportunity to have a quick chat with say Larry Carlton or (insert another musical idol). Again having the chance to chat to the super nice Chad Wackerman was again bizarre. I mean thats one of Zappa's drummers!

Anyway im waffling, if you havent seen the guy play do it! Im particulary gutted as i believe Gary Husband is the drummer for the tour.

stratman323 said:
Oh well, I like the Jazz Cafe! The 100 Club is cool as long as you can avoid those awful pllars which screw up the view from so many angles.

Agreed on the infamous 100 Club pillars!! To be fair though, obstructed views are also part of the club experience at other London venues, such as The Luminaire (Kilburn). 100 Club is almost always an expensive ticket when compared to the same artistes elsewhere - you pays yer money, etc.

Ronnie Scott's gig review (not written by me) here:

http://londonjazz.blogspot.com/2010/06/review-allan-holdsworth.html

Superb show, by the way! Probably the best performance I've yet seen from Allan and his band. Suggest that all interested parties do their very best to catch one of the above dates - just an effortless display of out-of-this-world-and-into-the-next musicianship!! Saw Gary Husband at the bar after the band's first house at Ronnie's; what a lovely, down to earth bloke he is!

Last night I travelled up by train to see Allan and his superb band yet again at The Stables, Milton Keynes (lovely theatre, by the way). Verdict: an excellent performance although Allan seemed a little quiet (next to no on stage announcements) and dissapointingly, didn't come out to sign CD's at the bar after the gig (despite the announcement from his driver/compere stating that he would). The theatre staff were excellent and took back CD's for the man to sign instead.

I would have loved to have caught this show. I have seen him twice, once in Bath and once on The Thekla (sp) in Bristol. On the Thekla I was so near the front I was in line with the PA so didn't get the full mix and all I could really hear was Chad's drums :( not that he is a bad drummer, but I went to see Holdsworth.

Back