A little Burny/Fernandes ID help? 56k warning: lots of pics.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Formula73

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm new and just wanted to ask a few questions. Some of these pics aren't the best, but maybe I could get some help. The first here was sold to me as an 80 Burny Flying V. I assume that makes the model number an FV-something, but the truss rod cover is long gone, so I'm not even sure it's a Burny. It's got a 2pc Mahogany body, 1 pc Mahogany neck with tall, no-angle neckjoint, 2 gold-covered buckers that came with it (baseplate and cover glued together), an ABR-1 style bridge (that wouldn't intonate properly so I replaced it with an early Jackson), Kluson Deluxe copies, and a rosewood board. Since the electronics were basically non-functional, I replaced all the pots with CTS, the jack with switchcraft, and the pickups with a pair of Bill Lawrence L500s. I put the rings on there just because when I think of 67 Vs, they have pickup rings, and in the grand scheme of things, having another pickguard made to return it to stock isn't all that expensive. There's no nut on it right now since I'm in the middle of my first refret with Dunlop 6000s. Anyway, on with the pictures!

burnyrefret017.jpg

burnyrefret027.jpg

burnyrefret032.jpg

burnyrefret036.jpg

burnyrefret043.jpg

burnyrefret045.jpg

burnyrefret014.jpg

burnyrefret005.jpg

(from the seller)
2f0d_1.jpg

0de2_1.jpg

e2b3_1.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

36dc_1.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

Up next is this SG. All I got out of the guy was that it was from the 80s, but he wasn't even sure of that. There's no serial, but I found some numbers in the neck pickup cavity that read 71811 (and there is a big "K" in there in what looks like either Sharpie or pencil under the clear). The cavity is painted, but there is a section that was stamped, masked before the black, then unmasked and cleared over. As was the case with the V, the ABR-1 style bridge didn't have enough range, so I replaced it with one of these cheap Wilkinson roller bridges, along with the one on my Bacchus (jeeze, you think these guys would learn to be a bit more exact with post location, huh?). It also came with the stock pickups, but I replaced the bridge with a Suhr SSV+ for a little more power. Anyway, these pics aren't quite as good(or numerous), but I'd like to throw them up anyway in hopes of a little clarification.

SG001.jpg

SG007.jpg

Are there any more pics that could help in the positive ID of these guitars? Thanks for all your time, everybody, and I look forward to being on here and maybe, just maybe, finding my future LP JR doublecut...

OH YEAH. One more. What the heck is this Fernandes? I bought it overseas during a deployment because I liked it, but I have no idea what it is or where it was made. No serial. The neckplate just says Fernandes.
basses001.jpg

basses012.jpg

basses014.jpg

I thought something smelled funny..... :eek:
Give it a bit of time as its almost Christmas and i'm sure a lot of us are pretty busy at the moment.....i know i am.... :wink:

Mick

speaking of Burny LP jr's... check this one out- it is mine now, I bought it from guitargai a few weeks ago, but you could probably talk me out of it.
http://guitargai.com/html_folder/gai_otherAA2.html#

that Burny '61 SG is nice. I like the necks on the Burny '61's better than the OBG SG's, as they are slightly fatter. I have had both.

Hi.
The V could be 1977 made ans have a impressed serial number.Frets are new,seems like jumbo?
And Burny SG would be a 90?s-recent ones according to pics but I cannot tell it 100% sure.

Nice guitars.

Back