7OKAI SILVER STAR 1980 ss-36

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mojo hobo said:
Thanks marcus ,yes i think i know what you mean now,that is what i was trying to explain in my diagram, positions 2 and 4 do not seam to click in to place as firmy as position 1-3-5,it feels like a half click and not as firm feeling notch,

HOPE THIS IS WHAT YOU BOTH ARE TRYING TO DESCRIBE :-?

MOJO HOBO

That's it. I've always favored a vintage style three position switch - I never play in the 2 or 4 position.

Sadly, my switch has just gone out on my 78 Springy and instead of replacing it for a new 5 way, I'm going with a three position Tele switch.

Just a quick update on this silver star ,I was really not too sure that the pickups on this guitar was real tokai,but replacements which came with the strange 10- hole pickguard,something was not right.

So i upgraded the pickguard to the proper spec 3-ply black 11-hole version,a usa/mex one fits with little modification.
I replaced the pups with fender custom shop 69s ,rewired the whole pickguard with cloth wire ,cts pots, 0.022mfd PIO cap ,5 -way fender switch,new fender size knobs.
Now this guitar is the mutts nuts,with these upgrades,the amount of tone this strat has now is astounding,It sounds like blanket has been taken off the amp. :D
P1000314.jpg

P1000316.jpg

P1000317.jpg

MOJO HOBO

Good to see that. I don't really like black guitars, but that all black with RW board is probably the best looking black Strat I've seen. Nice one! :D

.022 cap eh? Smart choice. :wink:

If you don't want the old Tokai switch, I'll take it off your hands.

Back