1989 Greco Mint Collection EG ????

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CliffsGuitarWorld

Reaction score
Aloha from Maui,

Just recieved today from Japan....I have a SUPER BRIGHT 1989 Greco Mint Collection DEEP RED Heritage Cherry flame top not a cherry burst or clown top, with no markings on the bottom of the pick ups. The serial number on the headstock is 9 35XX. The pick ups just scream and have very clear tones like my EGF-1200 and not muddy like my EGF-1000. This guitar is an unusal find as the pickups, pickguard,Truss Rod Cover and back cover plates still have the plastic on them. There are no scratches or dings what so ever on the guitar... essentially an brand new 21 year old Greco. The solder joints are virgin. There is a heel added to the neck. No FEB's and sorry about the fretboard looking dry. I will apply an oil...... This guitar has been sitting around for years.....UNTOUCHED,,,,, I played the hell out it today and required no setup.. seems to have a thinner 60's type neck.

1- What type of pickups are these?
2- What model could this be?

033.jpg

017.jpg

025.jpg

015.jpg

Here is a photobucket link to more photos. I will upload more in the next day..... Mahalo.... Cliff

http://s302.photobucket.com/albums/nn103/cliffjordan1/1989%20Greco/

Congrats on a great guitar!
I saw that one on Yahoo Japan and thought it might even be a solid flametop like my 1990 Greco EG-1700.

The later Mint Collections are hard to pin down but I also previously had a different 1990 that was similar and was a EG-700 model, so that would be my guess. Pickups are unmarked but should have been DRY.

The is the EG-700:

All the Grecos of that time should have a neck heel. The later 80's and the 1990 models I have had have thinner necks, except for the solid top.

Here is a pic of the EG-1700 flametop with what I assume are DRY pickups.

Yeah looks the same as my EG 650 from 87 with screamn pickups.

being an 89 it could be the same but this is a transition period and could also be a Eg 700 with dry 82 pickups. The best way to tell is by the magnets black mags = ceramic screamin.

5511547790_317a8812d7_z.jpg

Plastic clear film still covers the pups, pick guard, TRC and back cover plates. I might even go to say these are the original strings from the factory as the strings even have fret indentations. A super rare event for a 21 year old Greco.

What would YOU do?

Keep the plastics on if you see yourself letting it go at some point in the future. If not, carve your name in the back with a dull screwdriver and put some meaningless stickers on the front to give it some mojo!

hi ....
i think i have seen that eg 700 some place in my house :D :D :D
very light ... 3.9 kg ... and after a small pickup hight adjustment ,,,, i think is great ,,,, i love the dry 1982 ,,,,,,, never had a dry Z ,,, but i think the dry 1982 are great
all the best
otto

hi ... no not yet ,,,. it is in denmark right now ,, at the customs service ,,so i cant be long now :D :D
but there is pictures here
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220817676794

all the best
otto

hi
yes not too bad ,,, but a bit beat up ... but a chance to try one with out have to pay a lot for it ,,, and a very early serial number .... :D :D

Great price for a braz board ! :D Go for a pair of Drys and you have a 1200 :wink:
Chingos prices seem always fair to me.

hi
yes ,,, a set of dry z would be nice :D :D .. but i dont know what to think about the pickups ,,, a dimarzio paf and a dimarzio SD ...
if it was on a tokai i would mean higher model ...
maybe a custom order or the pickups has been changes ,,,,
soon i will know ,,, when i look at the control cavity :D
all the best
otto

and chingo has good prices ... and never had any trouble with him ,, :D

Yep, that pickup combo featured in the LS150.
My guess is that your bridge pickup has been changed but.. who knows?
I think you will change the SD for something else eventuelly.

hi
yes ...
got a set of old dimarzio paf and a set maxon u2000 and a set of dry 1982
so i got something to try out :D :D

So some say that this guitar is an EG-700.. some say it has DRY 2 pickups... On another site I see this posted:

EG-xx-1000 laminate flametop, DRY-1982 pickups

So do I have EG-1000 ???

Agreed "D" in EG-1000D would indicate Semour Duncan pickups

EG-1000 would indicate Dry 82 pups

Does anyone have a 1989 Greco Catalog and or link?

That question has been asked a lot of times. In the 1990 catalog the 1000 has SD pups and I have seen several 1989 Grecos with these pups stock, so it's plausible there's isn't much difference between 1989 & 1990. The 1990 EG700 has Dry pups.

Latest posts

Back