• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

1985 Tokai MAT model M-551 Red for sale on ebay

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks Londonferry oh sorry that was Barry right. didn't realize you were both the Tokai Registry police. You are probably the type of bloks that got the piss beat out of them. All in good fun I take it. I guess since you are both gods you are perfect and every deal you have done has been perfect, oh well you brits.

be well!

Zrider wrote: oh well you brits.

Actually it's "Oh Well" by Peter Green

Nice guitar, but with an attitude like that, I feel better already by not even considering buying it.

Go Barry, go! :lol:

The guitar is NOT a M-551, it's a M-451. The M-551 has a locking Ayers Rocker trem and Kluson type tuners which the M-451 doesn't have (it has the same tuners as the TST/AST-40 strats). Another thing: it doesn't have a composite body, the body is also FRP (Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic). The Carbon Fiber bodies didn't appear until 1986. Even the most expensive M-750 series had FRP bodies in 1985.

Mike

Thanks for the feedback on the MAT I am not familiar with these guitars and the previous owner told me it was a M-551. I checked the catalogue online and thought it was as well. Lesson learned.

Cheers!

Alan

I recintly dug out my old tokai mat strat i bought in 1984 ish (black-black)
i did play it a little but it hasn't seen the light of day in 15+ years.
I was gioning to give it otmy 10 year old son to thrash by the kid at the guitar center said it's worth some cash is this true? It is composite
& in like new cond..

millerj said:
I recintly dug out my old tokai mat strat i bought in 1984 ish (black-black)
i did play it a little but it hasn't seen the light of day in 15+ years.
I was gioning to give it otmy 10 year old son to thrash by the kid at the guitar center said it's worth some cash is this true? It is composite
& in like new cond..

I actually ended up with the MAT that was for sale in this auction. I bought it from the guy who won the auction and found out that the neck was bad (not possible to adjust). Since I had a couple of NOS MAT necks I bought the guitar from him (I paid the same as he did, I think it was less than $200 USD) and replaced the original neck with a carbon fiber MAT neck.

The MAT's are great guitars but they normally sell for less than the Springy's and Goldstars for example. I really like them and I own two, one early prototype and a 1985 M-451:

1984 M-750 series prototype:

mat_750_1.jpg

1985 M-451 with 1986 CM-800 carbon neck:

body.jpg

Mike[/url]

Latest posts

Back