1981 ls120 Headstock veneer/logo replacement

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, that’s a Tokai. Serial number and range is correct. So that’s a non issue in my book.

FWIW, I have a 1982 solid Flametop myself. No oval sticker. It’s in that thread on vintage solid flame tops. Reborn old and others said it is probably an LS120 and not an LS150 because of the PCB.

View attachment 19856

I have also had a solid Flametop 1983 LS80, also in that thread.

View attachment 19857

But the LS80 solid Flametops have two piece backs.

So I think yours is probably an LS120. Sounds like villager thought so too.

In the end it doesn’t matter what you call it. It is what it is.

guitarhiro has a spectacular 1981 LS60 with a combination of flame and birdseye as I recall.

Beautiful guitar you have there.
Very nice guitars you have there.

Always plenty of experts who love to divebomb onto anybody they can disagree with or prove wrong in general. As I said, somebody at Faber Germany said solid 120s don't exist, except the one I have then :)

No oval sticker on mine, but the PCD confirms it's a 120, the 150s afaik had upgraded electronics.

I'd like an old white Tokai strat with a big C shaped neck if I could find one. Not sure what models I would be looking for. Or even an old blonde telecaster like Gary Moore had.

I'd never looked at fenders because I never liked the neck shapes. Prefer round C shaped necks on les pauls, but did see a 62 reissue strat years ago in a shop with a good neck and have played some sort of Mexican telecaster that also had a good round neck

Well.... anyone who has followed Tokais closely for a long time eventually learns that the rules we create for their models were often violated by Tokai themselves... So....

Best to have an open mind and be ready to be surprised if you are into Tokais. They did a lot of innovating and model changes. Especially in that period between 1980 and 1984. Really all the way through the 80s. Then the 90s get confusing in a whole different way.

Fasten your seat belts as they say.

Back