1981 ls120 Headstock veneer/logo replacement

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you know it is a real Tokai?
And if it is, how do you know it is a 120 and not a 150?
Have you had the pickups out to confirm it is a solid top and not veneer?
What pickups are in it?

It is a genuine fake, has PRS vintage bass and treble pickups in it. Yes an LS120 and yes it's a solid top, they do exist in small numbers, why? I don't know. .. Pickups were out long before I ever bought it. Bought it off villager a decade ago, he knows what he is talking about.

Last edited:
If you could take one square on...even then it may be distorted. How best to go about recreating the logo accurately? A little tricky.
Sure. I’ll get the camera sensor’s plane parallel to the headstock to reduce distortion. Will have to be tomorrow. Remind me if it slips my mind.

How do you know it is a real Tokai?
And if it is, how do you know it is a 120 and not a 150?
Have you had the pickups out to confirm it is a solid top and not veneer?
What pickups are in it?
It also had a PCB which I have since had replaced with top end caps and pots.

Attachments

• 20230622_020510.jpg
    20230622_020510.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230622_020345.jpg
    20230622_020345.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230622_020544.jpg
    20230622_020544.jpg
    905.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230622_020744.jpg
    20230622_020744.jpg
    434.2 KB · Views: 1
Sure. I’ll get the camera sensor’s plane parallel to the headstock to reduce distortion. Will have to be tomorrow. Remind me if it slips my mind.
Cheers, I've found a waterslide love rock logo so that will do. Not too fussed about that.

Just want that Tokai headstock logo back on there as accurately as possible.

Much appreciated,

Attachments

• s-l1600 (15).jpg
    s-l1600 (15).jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 0
Here you go.

The edges probably need to be cleaned up around the "a" and the "i".

Hope these help.

DSC_4299.jpg

Threshold.jpg

High Contrast

Contrast.jpg

Last edited:
And you can clarify if it is a Tokai with the pickup routs and the serial number

I bet you could even find somebody that would silkscreen on the love rock script. The screen itself wouldn’t be that hard to do. Lining it up might be a trick but I’m sure they could do that too.

DSC_4292.JPG

Last edited:
Side by side with the Russian veneer you bought.

1981 LS100s

View attachment 19800

Russian made veneer

View attachment 19802
Much appreciated..

Are you able to take some accurate measurements of the logo?
Also the size of rectangle it would fit in at it's extremes?

Ideally, I think Id need a scan of it to send in the correct format so they can make up a CAD file from the exact logo.

I have found a couple of places that should be able to recreate it and inlay into a holy veneer. One place that uses cnc, so I should end up with an exact copy in mother of pearl.

Are they holly veneers on the early 80s models?

Cheers

The only way I know that you can scan the actual headstock would be to remove the tuners so it lays flat on a scanner bed.... That is probably overkill.

I am measuring 1-23/32" from the left most point of the "T" to the right most point of the "i".

IMG_5400.jpg

Not sure about rectangles. That sounds a bit subjective as to what your rectangle is.

And the photos I sent you are pretty much straight on. Someone should be able to take those and use the dimension of the headstock on your guitar to overlay them and match them up. Our headstocks are the same size.

The only way I know that you can scan the actual headstock would be to remove the tuners so it lays flat on a scanner bed.... That is probably overkill.

I am measuring 1-23/32" from the left most point of the "T" to the right most point of the "i".

View attachment 19849

Not sure about rectangles. That sounds a bit subjective as to what your rectangle is.

And the photos I sent you are pretty much straight on. Someone should be able to take those and use the dimension of the headstock on your guitar to overlay them and match them up. Our headstocks are the same size.
Height and width as I have to put that info in on the online form for a quote.

I assume these are done like the gibsons? ie the inlay recess bigger than the logo, then filled with black resin and sanded back?

Finding Holly might be a challenge.....Wondering what other wood could be used.

Attachments

• 37.JPG
    37.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 36.JPG
    36.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 35.JPG
    35.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 33.JPG
    33.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 1
As I said before, in 1981 they actually used some kind of composite material. Maybe plastic as it seems to be black all the way through it as seen when scratched.

1982 on they used a thin wood veneer or even painted over the headstock. See that thread I linked earlier in this thread.

Outliers are inky guitars that had a wood veneer, but yours is not an inky.

Can you post a picture of the serial number?

As I said before, in 1981 they actually used some kind of composite material. Maybe plastic as it seems to be black all the way through it as seen when scratched.

1982 on they used a thin wood veneer or even painted over the headstock. See that thread I linked earlier in this thread.

Outliers are inky guitars that had a wood veneer, but yours is not an inky.

Can you post a picture of the serial number?
Thanks, I will go back through it..getting a bit bogged down in open tabs and posts here.

One piece of the puzzle sorted. Silk screen waterslide. Will look decent enough.

Attachments

• 20230623_120605.jpg
    20230623_120605.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230623_120425.jpg
    20230623_120425.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Well, that’s a Tokai. Serial number and range is correct. So that’s a non issue in my book.

FWIW, I have a 1982 solid Flametop myself. No oval sticker. It’s in that thread on vintage solid flame tops. Reborn old and others said it is probably an LS120 and not an LS150 because of the PCB.

IMG_2895.jpeg

I have also had a solid Flametop 1983 LS80, also in that thread.

IMG_2762.JPG

But the LS80 solid Flametops have two piece backs.

So I think yours is probably an LS120. Sounds like villager thought so too.

In the end it doesn’t matter what you call it. It is what it is.

guitarhiro has a spectacular 1981 LS60 with a combination of flame and birdseye as I recall.

Beautiful guitar you have there.

Last edited:
Back