1979 ST-80 unstamped pickups

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Sat knows about the ST-80 deal. As he proposed to me a few minutes ago to exchange the non-original parts with original parts ...

Will keep you posted

JohnA said:
MIJvintage said:
I wouild buy from Sat again but ALWAYS ask every question you think you need to ask, before buying :wink:

There's the key, ask first. It's difficult to seek compensation for a guitar that's heavier than you expected if you didn't ask the weight up-front.

it was quite annoying, since I had specifically asked what the actual weight of the guitar was

when it arrived, and it was OVER a pound heavier than Sat stated, I about had a frikkin' major cow :evil: ..........

MIJ, I was refering to the 4.6kg LS320, I agree with you, if you ask the weight and it's out by a pound then that's really more than you can call a measurement error.

Anyway, madcat, I know you're mad (and a cat) but you are probably better off trying to sort this out with Sat away from the forum, I know I would be less inclined to help someone who'd just given me a public slagging :wink:

Koiz might be a bit mad, but his videos show he's clearly passionate about guitars, and I'm sure he'll take your concerns seriously if you take it up with him!

Good luck

Dont worry, I don't try to sort it out here. I'm in contact with him and I hope we will find a solution.

I'm just upset as I bought an expensive ST-80 for $1800.- and now I discover it's not original ...

For that amount, I would prefer to buy a Fender custom shop 1960 reissue, instead of a non original ST-80.

I just wanted to have advices here as you are more experienced and for sure it's a nice place to share our knowledge. At the end we are all passionate about guitars.

Karl Kaufmann said:
Beware!
I bought a LS320 from Koiz.
The weight was unbelievable heavy with 4.6kg!!! Unacceptable for Tokais high-end flagship
He doesn't mentioned that in his description and refused any compensation.
Shame!!
After our dispute he published my name in his blog section of his website: Beware of this customer?

did you inquire concerning the weight of the guitar, before you purchased?

Sorry, I hate having to ask all questions before buying, dealers won't list all those little things which when read together would prob put people off, the sparsity of information at most dealers I think is aweful.

The fact that guitar had a non-standard pick guard etc should have been disclosed, he could of at least got an "E" system in there.

But why are you paying so much for a st-80??? Jesus I'd want a mint museum one for that sort of money and that one doesn't seem to have any outstanding features.

The Ishibashi one on ebay went for around $950.

madcat said:
I know it's an ST-80 because

- I can read ST-80 on the neck pocket
- "80" is engraved on the neck
- The finish is Nitro
- The neck profile is a V
- Body is Sen wood
- 2 pieces body

body wood sen and 2 piece body doesn't differentiate an st-80 from st-60.

Koiz's guitars are on the high side. I think if you offer a bit less a few times he will come down. I bought a really nice blonde ST 100 from him. Its super light and all original with original case and ash tray cover.

It reached my house in California from his house in Japan in 2 1/2 days..

I would buy from him again.

7okaicollection013.jpg

I also bought an ST-100 from Koiz and I'm very happy with it.

It seems that Sat is not willing to discuss the ST-80 issue any more as I have no news for days ...

He also argue me that an ST-80 with E pickups are rare. Someone can confirm ?

madcat said:
It seems that Sat is not willing to discuss the ST-80 issue any more as I have no news for days ...

Sorry to hear that, but you may need help from a Japanese speaker to get your message across?

madcat said:
He also argue me that an ST-80 with E pickups are rare. Someone can confirm ?

It's very rare to find an ST80 that doesn't have E pickups. Anyone who has seen a few ST80s would know this. But it isn't written down in a book anywhere, so I don't know how you prove it to someone who refuses to accept that fact.

madcat said:
Thank's for your reply, the pickups measure :

neck 6,2 k ohms
mid 6.2 k ohms
bridge 6.3 k ohms

That's very close to the 1964 fender strat pickups spec !
found here : http://www.provide.net/~cfh/pickups.html

Does anyone had a chance to compare a tokai to an old fender strat ?

I have a set of E stamped pups with similar readings in my ST80.

Volker

Thank you all for your information, it seems more an more difficult to know if my ST-80 is original or not.

The "E" Stamped pickups in my ST-100 read more 5,7k ohms.

Does it mean that not all "E" pickups are the same ?

Does someone has an ST-80 from 1979 to compare ?

I get the impression that Volker's are unusual. The two sets of Es that I have measure from 5.4k to 5.6k. And they are bright! :eek:

The two sets of Us measure 6.1 to 6.2. The two sets of VIs or IIVs (or whatever the hell they are) measure 5.7 to 5.9.

stratman323 said:
I get the impression that Volker's are unusual. The two sets of Es that I have measure from 5.4k to 5.6k. And they are bright! :eek:
I think you're right Mike.The E's in my ST100 sounds alot weaker,but the brightness is almost the same with the other set.

Volker

Latest posts

Back