Greco EG-900 - pics and specs!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pancake

Reaction score
Hello

I thought that I should share some pictures and specs of my recently aquired Greco Les Paul EG-900 -'79 (Pre Super Real). It has some wear - especially the bridge and tailpeice - but it's a real good guitar and it plays real nice. I guess that whoever played this guitar had some real acidic sweat, since the bridge it really eaten up.
The guitar is a little on the heavy side but I'm not too bothered by it. The frets are actually in good condition - maybe they have been recrowned at some point in it's lifetime? I wasn't that fond of the colour of the guitar (I guess it's what they call "Clownburst") but it's growing on me.

1979 Greco EG-900
Nitro laquer
DiMarzio PAFs (measuring: bridge - 7.9k, neck - 7.4k, when mounted in the guitar)
Tuners marked "Greco Guitar"
3-piece maple neck, 14 degree headstock angle
nut width 43 mm, thickness at 1th fret - 20 mm, thickness 12th fret - 24 mm (measured front to back of the wood)
fret edge binding
Dowel reinforced neck tenon
Pancake mahogany body (1 piece back layer, 5(!) piece middle layer) *See picture!
2-piece solid maple top
Weight 10 - 10.5 lbs

MainFrontView.jpg

Pickups.jpg

BackMainView.jpg

BridgeTailpieceside.jpg

Headstockbacknew.jpg

Pancakeview.jpg

Electronics.jpg

Headstockfrontnew.jpg

The picture below shows an approximation of how the middle layer is constructed. It seems there are one big piece and 5 smaller pieces. This is determined by looking at the side of the guitar and finding where the pieces of wood join each other. This is, as I said, the middle layer - the back layer looks as though it's all one piece. Or else they really managed to hide the joint.

PancakeLayer.jpg

I believe the guitar was all original when I got it and I have only replaced the nut (since I wanted a Tremnut) and the pickup screws (since one of them had stripped threads and wouldn't permit me adjusting the pickups to my liking) and the screws for the back plate (since the original screws were missing). I have been thinking of changing the wiring to 50's style but I don't want to mess with it since it's appears all original and works ok. The neck pickup can be a little bassy at times but lowering it reduces that somewhat.

If you can think of anything that I have omitted from this specification - just let me know and I'll try to add it to the thread.

/ Pancake

Not much to add.
Worth to mention is that the Dimarzios are the "old" version with squared screwholders.

All good stuff I remember seeing that serial number, Yahoo or from a store? I've been on the hunt for a 900, seems you get a virtual high end model without the price on those :wink:

telenut62 - Since I didn't arrange the deal my self I'm not sure exactly how it went through, but I believe that it was purchased through some private ad from Japan - possibly Yahoo.

It seems the prices are steadily rising on all Greco's. I wish I had known about them earlier! I have only heard good things about them. I guess the only common "negative" thing is that they tend to be somewhat heavy. I don't know this as a fact but I have read many comments regarding weight on the internet. My guitar is certainly quite heavy, but so are many real Gibsons from the 70's.

/ Pancake

Pancake said:
I guess the only common "negative" thing is that they tend to be somewhat heavy. I don't know this as a fact but I have read many comments regarding weight on the internet.
My Gibson Standard 95' is a lot heavier than my Greco EGF850.

Pico - Well, it's truly a great guitar! Since my experience with Gibson Les Pauls is rather limited I can't really compare it, but as an electric guitar, in general, it's excellent. It feels better than the few Gibsons I have tried in music stores but, in all fareness, they might have suffered from a poor setup.

If you don't mind the 70's specifications (pancake body, maple neck) then I would really recommend this model!

/ Pancake

How much did you pay for it, where and when did you bought it?

Back