Possible LC60?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texstrat

Reaction score
I am new to the forum and this past week picked up a beautiful Tokai LP copy. Researching the Internet on the guitar has not been very successful and I believe it is a 1980 LC60. I found pictures similar on Harold Wulf's photo page with two exceptions, my truss rod cover is blank and the top of the head stock comes to a tip between the book halfs. Other than the Tokai MOP logo in the head stock, there are no other identifiers. No markings in the pup cavities or on the backs of the pups.

Edit: The story I got from the seller was that he had the guitar for several years and that he acquired it from his uncle who purchased it from someone in Japan.

Here are the pictures (the guitar is black with cream binding)

DSC07761.jpg

DSC07756.jpg

DSC07755.jpg

DSC07758.jpg

DSC07768.jpg

DSC07767.jpg

DSC07770.jpg

DSC07763.jpg

DSC07762.jpg

Any ideas?

Thanks.[/img]

I can't really tell from your pictures but is there any serial number stamped into the back of the headstock ???? I'm pretty sure there was no headstock shape like that in 1980 either, the u.k. guys can tell you when that came about. No serial #, no Tokai MIJ guitar.

It does not have a serial number stamped on the back of the headstock. I did read that a Tokai LP was made during 1980 similar to what I have.

I need to dig around and try to find the article. If this is a fake, it is a remarkable fake. I collect vintage MIJ Strats and this guitar has all the makings of a well crafted instrument.

The tuners were replaced by the previous owner. Most of what I have seen have the vintage Gotoh tuners. When I pulled the guitar apart to clean it up, I removed the tuners and what is on now was a direct replacement for the OEM. Meaning no new holes were drilled.

Last post in the thread from Peter Mac, http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=141225&sid=2b15f87b128210949d0753017f06391b

Not sure. The other question, if this was purchased from someone in Japan, could this be a non-export guitar?

Couple of other points about the guitar, it weigh almost 8lbs. and has great tone unplugged.

Here is a catalog from 1980 showing the TLC/TSG series. My guitar looks similar to the one on the left or the one on the chair, TLC60 or TLC110. Reading the descriptions of both, they are identical except for 50K yen.

http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/tokai86_7.jpg

Guys, it's no that hard to identify this LP.
No serial number = not MIJ Tokai.
The control cavity shape = not MIJ Tokai. The pots have been replaced btw.
The wire routing & nut = Korean
The pickups cavity shape = post 80s Korean.
The logo = legit.
Conclusion:
Korean made 90s LC60; basswood body. maho neck, rosewood board.

The neck volume control position does not look correct - shouldn't it be just behind the tailpiece?

Good to know.

Jacco do you have any pictures you can share regarding your observations?

Thanks for the information.

I agree Jacco, a korean LC Tokai model is my guess. Tokai have korean made models since late 80?s(very few)

Hi Guys,

Interesting guitar....not up on the Korean models, only the MIJ - and this is not MIJ
One thing is the headstock dimpling was never employed by Tokai until after it had moved off-shore.
The volute was used on the LC60S only in its only year (1981). This model also had a maple top - not mahogany like the LC-60. The pic of the cavity does not suggest any maple.
The pickup shape and construction are all wrong, electrics are wrong (should be circuit board) and the lack of serial number is a worry.
regards
Peter Mac

Back