Difference between the ls70's and ls80's models?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisogrady

Reaction score
I am considering getting a ls70s Goldtop but am told that the hardware, wood and pickups are better in the ls80 range.

Is this true? I really love the look of Goldtops and the only other one is the LS80S but it has no humbuckers!!

Is the ls70s Goldtop a quality product that would compare to a Gibson?

Thanks!

3 pieces plain top unmatched against 2 pieces matched flamed(veneer) top,MKIII against MKII pickups,thick against medium thick neck.The rest is much the same.......Mahogany wood on LS70 seems similar to LS150(AFRICAN MAHOGANY),different mahogany grain on LS80.....

Good guitars both,so if you prefer a '59 style guitar go for LS80 and if you like '58s style take LS70,very simple!

luis said:
3 pieces plain top unmatched against 2 pieces matched flamed(veneer) top,MKIII against MKII pickups,thick against medium thick neck.The rest is much the same.......Mahogany wood on LS70 seems similar to LS150(AFRICAN MAHOGANY),different mahogany grain on LS80.....

Good guitars both,so if you prefer a '59 style guitar go for LS80 and if you like '58s style take LS70,very simple!

I have a epi elite 57 gold top from japan and it is made from African mahogany, it is a very nice but straight grain wood . It does not resemble the mahogany in my LS 150 in the slightest way. I was told the Ls 150 was Honduran mahogany. Or could it be asian mystery mahogany?It does look very much like the same wood that Gibsons are made with.

Mark

Thanks for correction Tunafreak.I was told LS150 is African Mahogany 1 piece body made, but Honduras Mahogany wood you pointed could be certain too.Taking a look closely to the grain and wood makes you think about this.
As far as this LS150 new model tries to be an old LS150 replica(or ressue) would be worth knowing which wood was old LS150 made for making a parallelism.

I remember Tokai made some Special Orders around 2.002 in a 100.000-180.000 yen range price with some parts with Honduras Mahogany.I remember reading this on Guitar Universe website and seeing some for sale(in Japan only).So this ones could have been the pre-LS150 we're talking about.....

Back