Where was this made?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zebracaster

Reaction score
Hello all and thankyou for letting me join the forum! I recently acquired a Tokai Les Paul and am trying to work out where and when it's from... I think it must be a Chinese one but it doesn't say Love Rock anywhere or have a country of origin stamp/sticker. There's a small serial number under the varnish on the back of the headstock (090793 - 2009?) but that's about it. Can anyone tell me anything helpful?

Thanks in advance!

The customs don’t say Love Rock on them.

The 3 screw truss rod cover, small font serial number, and light colored fretboard suggest Chinese construction to me.

Typically the Chinese models cost less than the Japanese builds so it’s likely an LC4x or LC5x or LC6x. Also called UALC.

Does it look like the serial number paint was buffed off or is it actually embossed in the wood?

It's Chinese, and appears to have has some modifications and a lot of use. The serial suggests 2009. It's a Les Paul Custom clone, so for the year that would make in an ALC50 in BB finish.

Thanks both for your extremely helpful replies! The serial number is under the poly finish- there isn't any indentation at all. I think Paladin must be right- looks like it's the UALC62. I really appreciate your taking the time to help me out on this one :D

I think he was saying it was an ALC50 because of the year.

"A" refers to the "export dimple" for markets where Gibson has claims on the open book head stock. Essentially means American model.

And you're welcome.

Back