ALS48 and ALS43

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably just inflation. What year was yours produced in?

43 = 43,000 yen at launch; 48 = 48,000 yen at launch.

If they're from the same launch timeframe, then it tends to be a 3-piece top or 2/3 piece back which makes the difference.

leadguitar_323 said:
In the 2000 catalogue the ALS-48 comes in 4 models, 2 with plywood bodies and 2 with alder bodies and all have maple necks.

Mick

specs for the ALS-43

BODY : Flamed Sycamore Laminated Top,Basswood Back, NECK : Maple Set-Neck, FINGERBOARD : Rosewood, FRETS : 22F, BRIDGE : LS-VBK, Bridge LS-VTK, Tailpiece, INLAY : Dish, PICKUPS : PAF-Vintage MK4 ? 2, CONTROLS : 2V., 2T., 3way Toggle SW, COLOR : CS, VF, BS, SR, SBL, STB, BB, GT

Specs for ALS-48

BODY : Flamed Sycamore Laminated Top
Basswood Back
NECK : Maple
Set-Neck

FINGERBOARD : Rosewood
FRETS : 22F
BRIDGE : LS-VBK Bridge
LS-VTK Tailpiece
INLAY : Dish
PICKUPS : PAF-Vintage MK4?2
CONTROLS : 2V.,2T.,
3way Toggle SW
COLOR : CS,VF,BS,SR,SBL,
STB,BB,GT
Price : 50,400 yen(Include Tax)

These specs seem to be exactly the same :-?

Phil,

Spec for current ALS48 is the same as the ALS43.

As AlanN mentioned, also, the model change is a result of inflation.

In recent history, the ALS48 was originally produced in Korea. When production was moved to China, the model number was changed to ALS43, reflecting a lower RRP in Japanese Yen. Late last year, the price of these guitars returned to 48,000 JPY, hence the ALS48.

There are a lot of confusion about the spec of these models. The Korean ALS48 were Alder bodied, and the Chinese production is Basswood. The Tokai website and, if you are lucky enough to have one, the Tokai Catalogue has the specs.

I have both models here, and there is very little, if any difference between them

AlanN said:
Where are those specs from? The ALS-43 specs i've seen say it's an alder back.

The specs for the ALS-48 came from the Tokai Gakki web site, I also just noticed the price in yen is 50,400 which means it is about $902.00AU ,so mine has gone up in value already :D SWEET 8)

Back