Wanting to get a Tokai, Few Questions.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marty_s13

Reaction score
Hi all!

I have been wanting to get an ES type Tokai for a while now. There is a store in my home state called B music that is a dealer. Although they are still quite pricey.

One thing I am confused with is all the versions. There is ES60, ES110, ES130, ES135. Can someone explain the differences to me?

From what I understand some have flamed maple while others are plain and some have a lacquer (nitro) top coat, is that basically it?

Which version is the best value for money while still being great quality? Or are they all about the same with just the added cost for flame etc?

what kind of bridges do they use? Similar to a nashville on a gibson with bushings or posts straight into the wood like an ABR-1?

What are the neck angles generally like? Accurate?

I still have quite a lot of saving to do and can't decide between purchasing internationally online and possibly paying customs etc or getting it straight from B music.

Any answers to my questions would be much appreciated.

Hi Marty,
Welcome to the Forum! Check out the Tokai website for some basic (actually higher end!) specs:

http://www1.odn.ne.jp/tokaigakki/products/vintage/top/vintagetop.html

The forum is also a good source of info--do a search to find some relevant links.

In general with Tokais, the model number x 1000 yen is the original price--ES-130 would have a store price of 130,000 Yen. I would recommend Japanese built models Korean or Chinese Tokais--you get what you pay for. I bought a new ES-155, (aged, flamed maple body, sunburst finish, 18 degree headstock, nitro finish, etc...), via ebay about a year ago from a seller named Hisashi and couldn't be happier with it--it's truly a special guitar. If you have a shop close by that has some models you might be interested in in stock it's probably worth making a trip, but do some internet research first. It's great to try guitars in person, and you may just find one that you need to own, but if you can buy the same model from abroad for a few hundred bucks less that's always good too. Vintage models (early 80s) are very highly regarded too, if you're considering used.

I'm not sure what the duty situation is shipping guitars from Japan to the US, but fast shipping these days might cost you $130-$140 or more, plus any duty that might apply, so that's certainly something to take into account. In my case, there were simply no dealers in town selling these guitars, so the internet was the only option for me.

Have fun shopping, and good luck!

:D
________
BMW V12 LMR

I am actually in Australia. Sorry I didn't put my location in my profile.

Thanks for the info.

I am thinking maybe I'll try them in store if I can and see how the necks feel etc but might purchase online. Unless of course I try one in person that blows me away.

How can I tell which is japanese/korean etc? can I only tell by the back of the headstock? or different model numbers?

The dealer here doesn't seem to have the ES-155 according to the website (might be able to order). But the ES-130 is already pushing my budget so I might get a ES-155 online.

G'day Marty,

Good to see another Aussie on board. For more details on the various ES models you can download the tokai Catalogue from..

http://www.tokaiguitars.com.au/catalogue.htm

The further up the range you go, the higher the grade of timber used in construction. The ES110 is plain maple with a standard poly finish. The ES130 has flamed maple and a "laquer finish". The ES135 is basically the same model, but with square position markers instead of dots.

If you go and check out the Tokais that Shane has in stock at Bmusic, you will get an idea of the quality. The hardware is the same on the ES series. The neck profile is thinner on the ES compared to the LS Love Rocks.

The build quality is outstanding, and consistent. Accurate?? you bet.

I will do the sums for you, remembering that anything over AUD $1000 (including shipping) attracts Customs fees.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/TOKAI-ES125-SRT-Made-in-Japan-BRANDNEW_W0QQitemZ380036370072QQihZ025QQcategoryZ2384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

AUD $1156 + $160 shipping = $1316AUD
+ 5% Duty =$1381.80
+10% GST = $1519.98
+ Customs entry @ $50 = $1569.98
+ Quarantine $50 =$1619.98
There could be a few miscellaneous charges that Customs tack on, but rougly it would be about $1620.00 delivered to your door.

RRP on the same guitar is $1599 from Bmusic. There is some confusion re the model numbers. The ES125 on the ebay ad is exactly the same model guitar as the ES110 in the Tokai catalogue.

The price of Tokais has been increased in Japan. In Australia, the prices have actually come down, so now, and in the future buying on ebay and having the guitar shipped to Australia will end up costing you more than buying locally and having the benefit of local support.

marty_s13 said:
I am thinking maybe I'll try them in store if I can and see how the necks feel etc but might purchase online.

OK then, good luck :roll:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-Tokai-Japan-Premium-ES155-335-CR-Flame-Nitro-H-C_W0QQitemZ320255385567QQihZ011QQcategoryZ2384QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

Around $2100 via ebay

$1999 from Bmusic

Thank you very much for that informative post!!

Looks like I wont be buying online then. I just assumed it would work out a little cheaper online but I see I was wrong.

It basically seems like the ES130 might be the one to get. I don't like square inlays too much and I like a bit of flame.

What about the ES175 that I hear about? Is that kind of a hand built custom shop model? I heard on another forum that is wipes the floor on most historic gibsons etc because its so good. It might be out of my price range.

Latest posts

Back