Trying to figure out a Love Rock model.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slidewinder

Reaction score
Hi guys, this is my first post.
I've been playing for a lot of years, but have always played strats.
I've even repeatedly passed on a number of Gibson Les Pauls over the years, but I tried a Tokai Love Rocks a few days ago and I think it's time to re-evaluate LP's. This thing plays great and I'm really gassing for this thing.
I know it's an 82 model with a veneer flame top, but other than the serial number there aren't any identifying marks. I've checked the stats, as far as Id'ing it for the correct year, but other than knowing it has a veneer top I don't know what model it is.
It's a brown burst, and after looking at the catalog it looks like a few different models offered this color in 82.
The pickups have been replaced so I can't go by that either.
I read somewhere that there might be a stamp of some kind in the neck p/u route, but even if it's there I'm not sure what to look for.
Can any of Tokai experts here give me any idea of what the stamp might mean, assuming that it's there, or if there's any other way to ID it?

I checked it today. It has fret binding, but it's a 3 peice back. I was pretty surprised about that. The board looks like it could be brazilian but if it was a high end model I can't see them using a 3 peice body.
The neck appears to be 1 peice mahogany.

I guess it could be a 60 or 70. The fret board appears to be brazilian but I was told by someone else, that at times they used wood that really looks like brazilian, yet is just a different type of rosewood. Also, I can't see them using brazilian on a lower end model with a 3 peice body.
This is a hard one to figure out.

I AM WORKING TOO HARD AND MY HEAD HURTS ...UGHHHHHHH!!!

apologies to slidewinder ...your answer should be ...1982 veneer topped tokai ..3 piece back and fret binding=LS-80 ...probably ...heh 1982 was a strange year...lots of changes ..I only buy pre 1982 myself..

Hey, another Canadian. Hi.
Normally I would have felt the price was ok, but it has a couple of other issues as well.
It looks like there was a headstock repair, and the front is banged up a bit. I know that wouldn't affect it's playability, but I'm assuming it's a lower end model to begin with, and I'm sure that will affect it's value. Have you found any good sources for Tokai's in the city?

Well Song Bird music recently had a nice goldtop Love Rock from the early 2000's but they sold it. They still have a Love Rock behind the counter that they're asking $800.00 for (it's a consignment instrument as was the goldtop) but the only thing is it's been refinished and you can see where the finish has either flaked or worn off and the truss rod cover is missing. I tried it out a while back and it does play well. They also have a VGS Tele clone there and a Goldstar Sound model. The website is http://www.songbirdmusic.com/ Do a search for Tokai and you should see the Tele and the Goldstar but they don't have the one behind the counter on the website.

Back